Notices

86crx hf trany in a 85 crx si?

Old 10-03-2008, 12:06 PM
nwdiirtracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86crx hf trany in a 85 crx si?

I just was wondering if a tray out a 86 crx hf would work in a 85 crx si? I have a 86 that I got into a wreck with here about a month ago and totaled out the car. But the engine and trany are still good.. Is this possible to do?

And one other question. Are the short blocks the same in those two years.. Both have 1500's in them and as far as I can see the only difference is the head. I was getting 52 mph with the the HF and this is the main reason why I asked these questions..

Thanks for any help
Old 10-04-2008, 01:30 PM
jamned

I was under the impression that 85 crx si is fuel injected, whereas the hf was carbureted. If this is the case, then the heads would be different. The fuel injected si engine could be one of these 3 similar engines: d15a3, ew3, or ew4. The if the hf engine is carbureted, it could be the EW1 or D15A2.

You *could* place a EW1/D15A2 head on an si engine, as I bought a running CRX in that condition. However, the EW1/D15A2 head has a CVCC chamber and a higher compression ratio...so I'm not sure how optimally this engine would perform.

I would think that the transmissions should be compatible. I can't be sure though. The HF gets better mileage than civics of the same vintage because the chassis is lighter and the HF gearing is designed for fuel economy. The Si tranny will give you better acceleration
Old 10-06-2008, 09:07 PM
daveb91
Boo Boo Kitty F*#k

You are just asking about the tranny right? Yeah you can swap those out.