Notices

1986 CRX hf

Old 10-22-2002, 12:11 PM
mcdisco420

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 CRX hf

OK people i need some info.
I just bought an 86 CRX hf. it runs great, but needs a clutch.
No biggie, but my problem deals with the suspension. The suspension is SHOT(ther cars got a wicked ghetto lean).
I was wondering about new front and rear suspension components. any help would be great.
Old 10-22-2002, 01:52 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

It uses a torsion bar suspension up front, with adjusting nuts on the bottom that you can use to correct some of that lean. Does the suspension squeak at all? If it does, replace the radius arms/lower ball joints. The squeak will sound like a bushing, but 9/10 times, is not a bushing. You can get shocks and struts from any 'ole auto parts store, or you can get aftermarket adjustibles from various places online. Rear suspension is a typical beam axle w/ panhard bar, with coil springs and shocks. Polyurethane bushings are also available if you feel the suspension is too sloppy.

The '86hf is a carb'd engine, makes about 87 lb-ft of torque, but HP is in the mid to upper 60's, something else to keep in mind.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:11 AM
mcdisco420

Default aftermarket?

hey, thanks for the info. What about aftermarket torsion bars, or just thicker torsion bars. does anyone make them. what about the torsion bars from a Si would they be stiffer? I am about to tear into it this weekend to do the clutch and rebuild the trans. i found a trans rebuild kit for 200$. if anybody knows where i can get a high perf rebuild kit or a cheaper stock one please let me know. THANKS
Old 10-23-2002, 01:20 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Default Re: aftermarket?

Originally posted by mcdisco420
hey, thanks for the info. What about aftermarket torsion bars, or just thicker torsion bars. does anyone make them.
www.opmmotorsports.com
what about the torsion bars from a Si would they be stiffer?
If the are, it's not by much
I am about to tear into it this weekend to do the clutch and rebuild the trans. i found a trans rebuild kit for 200$. if anybody knows where i can get a high perf rebuild kit or a cheaper stock one please let me know. THANKS
The HF tranny isn't a performance transmission. It was built purely for good gas mileage. This should be apparent to you as soon as you open the case.
Old 10-23-2002, 05:11 PM
mcdisco420

Default Some more questions?

First of all thanks for all the info, you have been a great help.
Secondly, i was searchin on Ebay, which is normaly not a good thing, and i found this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1871008350
its a set of spindles and strut assemblies. i need a new front pass. side wheel bearing for my HF and since theyre like fifty bucks if i can get these assemblies for like 100 bucks itwould be worth it, especially if they are a little beefier than the HF ones. but i dont know, and i would like your opinion. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2002, 04:33 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Those hubs won't work with your HF axles.