Notices

1986 Honda Civic poor fuel economy

Old 01-15-2008, 06:53 PM
keep rersearch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 Honda Civic poor fuel economy

Hi guys...I have a 1986 2 door Honda Civic. It has unleaded petrol and has had the carby rebuilt. Timing is good and has new air cleaner. It does not have electronic ignition.

I am getting lots of black soot all over the back of the car. I am only getting 200 klm on the 40 liter tank. When the car idles I can hear a "tonking" noise. I have adjusted the air/fuel mixture so the carby runs its smoothest and fastest. Plugs are also sooty but the car has good compression. It has had new rings fitted recently and the bore was within spec so it did not require a rebore.

I was wondering if the emission control system has a problem.

Has anyone had experience with poor fuel economy before?
Old 01-18-2008, 05:08 AM
keep rersearch

Ok...maybe we cn start this conversation by asking if anyone who has owned an 1986 Honda Civic can tell me what klm per fuel tank they get or have got.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:15 AM
blitzer_
Automotive Technician

Unfortunatly it has a carborator on it and most of the ppl on this forum are younger than that...

Not to mention we think in terms of gallons and miles...

I know on import carburators the floats are pretty much the only thing that go bad, they'll become saturated with gas and flood the motor.

So since I can't diagnose it, lets shotgun some parts. Replace the float, it's cheap. Then put new plugs in it since yours are fouled out.

Good luck.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:53 AM
keep rersearch

Originally Posted by blitzer_
Unfortunatly it has a carborator on it and most of the ppl on this forum are younger than that...

Not to mention we think in terms of gallons and miles...

I know on import carburators the floats are pretty much the only thing that go bad, they'll become saturated with gas and flood the motor.

So since I can't diagnose it, lets shotgun some parts. Replace the float, it's cheap. Then put new plugs in it since yours are fouled out.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply.
I have recently replaced it with a new carby kit and set the float height. However, I always wondered if I got the height measurement right. I may take your advice and remove the top of the carby and recheck the float height. It sounds logical that this could be the problem as the exhaust is very sooty and the plugs are also sooty.