Notices

civic si or gsr muffler on b16 crx ???????

Old 10-15-2007, 11:31 AM
B16Rex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default civic si or gsr muffler on b16 crx ???????

I'm sick of loud mufflers so I want to put a factory muffler back on. I have a b16 in an 89 crx with 2.25 pipe. I figured I would go with iether a 99-00 civic si or 92 gsr muffler since those cars have the same engine and should flow better than the crx oem. First of all, does anyone know the inlet sizes of these. I dont want to go smaller than 2". Also does anyone know the dimensions of the civic muffler. It might be too big to fit. Last, does anyone have any other recomindations for a truley quiet muffler on a b16 crx. Thanks
Old 10-15-2007, 09:31 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first guess would be the old school gs-r (not exactly the same motor ) muffler because it crosses over laterally like the stock crx one, whereas the si muffler just sticks straight out. Either way, I don't think you're looking at a bolt-up affair. That said, I think you'll be hard pressed to find a 8 year old muffler that is worth putting on your car, much less a 15 year old one.

If you plumb in a cat, resonator and muffler, magnaflow will be fairly quiet. ES oval is also a popular low-key muffler, but can be a bit aggressive sounding when wound up.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:28 AM
B16Rex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I actually have a cat, resonater and magnaflow on right now. Too loud. Its ok until vtec. Is far as the parts being old, I was going to order them new from a honda parts dealer. I also realize it wont bolt on. going to have a muffler shop make it work. Any other ideas on a factory sounding muffler with decent flow for a b16 crx? Thanks again.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:06 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you're getting new OEM, and you're getting it welded up at the shop, I'd say just about anything would work. Look for something with a 2.25 inlet... I think stock b-series piping is a little smaller than that... maybe a prelude muffler? Other manufacturer?