Notices

Engine Rotates but I have an issue...

Old 10-02-2007, 06:21 PM
theleprechaun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Rotates but I have an issue...

1990 Honda D16a, Here's how this all starts. Driving home on highway going 70-80 suddenly feel a serious lurch like a misfire. Anytime I press the gas more than a just barely I get a serious of neckwrenching jerks where the whole car bucks and misses. Milked it home, no engine lights no codes. Pulled into the driveway changed clothes and came back out, tried to start it after a visual inspection that came up short. Everything looked okay. When I started it it fired up and then my idle went haywire. I killed it and looked again. found my timing belt felt a lil loose on the front side before it goes over the top front of the cam sprocket. I started the car and watched it, sure enough i had a lot of deflection at idle. I figured it had slipped so I followed my service manual and retimed the belt to TDC on both the cam and the crank... Now I have nothing just the initial buck from the starter followed by a low mechanical whirr with no fire on any cylinder.

My question, stupid tho it is is this... If I set the timing to TDC on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke would It still fire and stall or something... or would I end up like I am with nada...
Old 10-02-2007, 07:44 PM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

Originally Posted by theleprechaun
My question, stupid tho it is is this... If I set the timing to TDC on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke would It still fire and stall or something... or would I end up like I am with nada...
The stock cam pulleys have markings on them for this purpose. The 'up' mark should be up and the TDC mark aligns with the pointer on the cylinder head back cover. That makes it TDC for #1 cylinder on the compression stroke, otherwise I'm sure your #1 piston would hit the exhaust valves on the exhaust stroke. Bad news there.

Considering the symptoms, take a look at your ignition system. I know my car started to do weird little things just before the coil took a dump. Bad injector might be a possibility also.

Keep at it and let us know what you find out.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:34 PM
daddiodanger
bad mo fo

pacificdude it right
TDC is TDC, your crank angle sensor will determine what cycle you on.

check your pickups on the dizzy , and make sure the little magnets didn't break off of the rotor shaft.
if ok, check for spark using a tester or just pull a plug out. no spark, theres could be a problem with the coil or wiring to the coil. (i.e. corroded ground or broken wire)
i once had a problem with my crank angle sensor overheating, it was strange but apparently its possible. it was producing similar effects, because the computer was confused.

also inspect the plugs, if you detonated there might be evidence of that. there will also be evidence of fuel fouling, which might help eliminate fuel supply.

next step after the basics is look for mechanical failures (i.e. bent valves, broken tooth on the flywheel)
Old 10-03-2007, 06:50 AM
18crx
stock booster

ahhh sounds exactly like my broken cam it broke in a "bearing and i couldnt see it. it turned and then fired somtimes causinbg the buck. oh sorry dude.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:04 AM
theleprechaun

Well ive tried a diff coil and dizzy. Same issue, im going to check for spark now.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:04 PM
theleprechaun

Default okay spark is good

okay i found the issue, when i set the timing i was tired and i mistakenly set the crank at bdc instead of tdc... oops, it works now and problem is solved.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:51 PM
daddiodanger
bad mo fo

:thumbup: