Notices

Doing a tune up. OEM or aftermarket parts?

Old 09-18-2007, 03:53 PM
GlennH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing a tune up. OEM or aftermarket parts?

I bought an 85 Civic and was planning on using OEM parts to do a tune up (I’m not hopping up this car, just trying to get maximum fuel mileage). I’m planning on replacing the coil, plugs, wires, cap and rotor, fuel filter, etc. However, I read an article that said there are aftermarket coils that are “better” than the OEM. This got me to thinking that maybe aftermarket may not be such a bad idea. If anyone has an opinion on which of the above parts could/should be replaced by aftermarket, please let me know. Also, let me know manufacturer(s) and a source for the parts – either an auto parts store or on the internet.

Thank you
Old 09-20-2007, 11:46 PM
A-series
v-card member alpha

If you're going for best mileage you can't do better than OEM.

There are aftermarket parts which are considered OEM-equivalents that might be able to do as good a job, or at least close, but nothing will do a better job on a stock engine than the oems.

Only if you're increasing the air and fuel would higher-performance aftermarket plug wires, coil, etc. actually make a difference. On a stock engine they might not work as well as oem(edit: I'm referring to the coil there).

Only possible exception would be NGK oem-equivalent plug wires (blues, not the reds) which I've read offer less resistance than the oems that came with the car. In theory they might be better for mileage and even power but it won't be something you'll notice while driving the car.

That's my take on it, I'm sure others have different opinions.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:06 PM
mason rocket
my 2 cense

I'm on my 4th honda now and so far I have learned unless you are into tuner stuff stick to oem parts. these cars run forever with original style parts with less associated problems.