Notices

What motor oil do you use in your car.

Old 10-27-2002, 02:32 PM
excitid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok this may sound like total :bs: but I decided to switch to castrol and my car runs 60% better it starts up first crank and I filled it up and drove it hard and I had better gas mileage then I was getting with the maxlife. Well thanks for the info Castrol is my new choice of oil.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:13 PM
sounds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amsoil 20W-50 for 130K so far

I am the original owner of a 1990 CRX Si, and have used Amsoil synthetic ever since completing full break in of the engine around 1,500 miles. I usually choose the 20W-50 Racing Oil, but have also used their 10W-30 Series 3000 over the past 12 years.

I chose Amsoil because they are the first in synthetics (they were inspired by fighter jet engine oil and have been at it longer than Mobil). Also, my uncle tested the stuff for 10 years in his Nisson Maxima, so I felt confident using it in my first new car. Now it's in all three of my cars. It seems the best choice for protecting the engine against breakdown while also improving performance, especially with the Racing Oil.

My engine now has over 130K miles, and it always starts the first time. I trust the Amsoil specs and only change my oil once every 25K miles or 12 months, and use the Amsoil oil filter and Amsoil air filter (oiled foam). The local mechanics here in Seattle repeatedly warn me that the 20W-50 is too thick for our cold weather, but I always let the engine warm up until it sounds smooth. I once timed it out at 6 minutes 45 seconds for warm up, but I'm sure it varies.

I have used the Amsoil 10W-30 in my CRX transmission, but it's back to dino oil now because it is so hard to get the dealerships to use my synthetic.