Notices

86 CRX motor swap help...

Old 08-28-2007, 01:09 PM
86RexHF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 CRX motor swap help...

A couple years back I bought an 86 CRX HF with the intention of throwing a new motor at it. I got side tracked but I'm ready to get back on this project. I have been looking around for some good information as far as what type of engine I should put in it. I am highly interested in an H22. Can anyone hook me up with the list of stuff I need to go with it, and what I need to do in order to install it? If an H22 will be too much or not even possible, what suggestions does anyone have for a motor?
Old 08-28-2007, 02:05 PM
jlicrx

first off, the HF was a carbed engine, so you will need to swap out the entire fuel system (tank, lines, pump, etc.) with fuel system from an 85-87 Si car in order to run any fuel injected engine - you will also need most of the wiring for the entire car from an Si - you would need to swap knuckles/hubs for ones from 86-89 Integra for just about any swap

an H22 will be almost impossible in the 1st gen CRX as the engine bay is smaller than a 2nd gen CRX - read this for what is required to install the H22 in a 2nd gen and you can get an idea of what you would be up against with the 1st gen (maybe twice as bad, if it could even be done):

http://www.hasport.com/tech/installs/efh1.pdf

you can purchase a mount kit, shift linkage and axles from Hasport to install a B-series engine in the first gen - kind of expensive - the easiest swap is the 86-89 Integra D16A1 or the JDM "browntop" DOHC ZC engines as they will bolt right in using the 86-89 Integra transmission, intermediate shaft, axles, shift linkage and knuckles/hubs - SOHC D-series engines require the fabricating of all custom mounts, custom shift linkage and custom axles
Old 08-29-2007, 08:59 PM
86RexHF

Ok, so I've been steered away from the H22. I appreciate the info.

I was looking on the Hasport web site to price things out for the B16 and it was saying that the shift linkage was no longer available. Is there another place I can fall back on?

The ZC DOHC is looking pretty appealing at this point. Would I be able to equip it with a turbo? I know the engine bay size is a serious factor, and I wasn't sure if it would be possible to pull it off.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:22 PM
brandanintegra

i belding a zc turbo for my 1990 crx si .ill tell you how it gos .or wright me back
Old 09-27-2007, 08:36 AM
18crx
stock booster

you could always turbo a carbed crx with a zc from japlan just plumb the turbo straight to the manifold and the large carb infront of the turbo and walha you got boost.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:00 AM
Cervan

Can you say "bomb"?