Notices

Another New CRX owner 91 dx long road trip ahead

Old 04-02-2007, 09:30 AM
cmb17xgb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another New CRX owner 91 dx long road trip ahead

Hello everyone, glad to be here! I知 the proud new owner of a 91 CRX DX Automatic it has just under150K mikes and sadly was so neglected I feel like I have rescued it!
Of course first thing.. I ran out to do is change the oil. Caster oil GTX 5w30 (Caster oil GTX recommended by hubby, 5w30 recommended by sears automotive) Can you possibly believe Sears automotive told me the tranny fluid could not be changed, but they could do a flush?? I知 not too mechanically inclined yet but learning, anyway it sounded a "run for your life red flag". So, I decided not to do the flush since I did not know enough to make an informed decision... PHEW! Now I will take it to Honda service and change the tranny fluid as many times as needed to get the fluid back to a healthy state. Much thanks to all the enthusiasts on these boards! I plan to road trip the car home (about 1,700 miles) I do not plan to 150K/120K service because hubby and dad are well equipped to do most if not all of those maintenance items. (of course I could be influenced to change my mind...) Hubby also says to use lucas Fuel system cleaner.

The car has new brakes, master cylinder and tires. (So he said) Battery is about a year old and he (seller) hesitated when I asked about the last time he tuned it up.. He said a year but I guess I will see when the sparkplugs come out.
Other than the Honda ATF changes, I知 planning to have the shift cable inspected.. it seems to go too far when I put it in park. Test the battery, fluids, hoses and belts and hit the road.

Any and all other suggestions to get my car road worthy would be greatly appreciated. I will be driving through the rockies...alone, so all sugestions will be taken seriously.

Thanks everyone,
cmb17xgb