Notices

ZC foreign to me

Old 12-29-2006, 06:52 AM
Slowking69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZC foreign to me

Well i recently ran about two ZC motors one is a dohc the other sohc. These motors are from 91 crx si's now the dohc is a complete motor with the solenoid in the head already. ill say solenoid only because i was told it is not a vtec solenoid but for a powerband is this correct. Also the actual solenoid says the word tec on it. The other problem i am having is the sohc is missing the solenopid that goes into the side of the head as does the vtec. I have a 91 crx hf i want to throw the sohc into but i dont know where to find and what to call this part. I know it may be right in front of my face but ZCs are a complete mystery to me. PLEASE some one help!!!

Last edited by Slowking69; 12-29-2006 at 06:54 AM. Reason: miscomunication
Old 12-29-2006, 01:43 PM
jlicrx

there are several different versions of the JDM ZC engine - all are 1.6L - the DOHC ZC is not VTEC and the sensor that you see on the end of the exhaust camshaft is the Cylinder Position Sensor on the OBD0 engines - this sensor is inside the distributor on the OBD1 DOHC ZC as well as on most SOHC Honda engines - its function is to help control the firing of the injectors - the SOHC ZC came both as a VTEC model (basically the same as USDM D16Z6) and a non-VTEC model (basically the same as USDM D16A6) - more than likely the SOHC ZC you are looking at is the non-VTEC model and is the reason it doesn't have a VTEC solenoid - the non-VTEC SOHC ZC came with MPFI and with dual carbs on some models
Old 12-29-2006, 05:19 PM
Slowking69

Default Yea your right

Well i feel like an idiot really.well i do have the zc i see now i just didnt have the distributor on it and i was afraid i would have to put an external distributor and a coil. so inorder to get a distributor would i get one for a d16z6 or just get a distributor for a 1991 crx si sohc non vtec that sounds like it would work. what would i use to identify this motor in order to get parts would i say d16z6 or what should i say. one more question can i use the harness from a zc dohc to drop the sohc zc into a crx hf i heard they were pretty much the same