Notices

85 CRX sunroof issues

Old 11-22-2006, 01:41 PM
EightyFiveCRXSi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 CRX sunroof issues

Hello from a nOOB.

Brand new here and have searched for help on this issue but I'm coming up empty.

Have an '85 CRX Si and over the last few years the sunroof has operated slower, slower, and now will not open at all. I can hear the motor(s) trying to work, but nothing happens.

Any thoughts on how to tackle this or what to check would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Old 11-22-2006, 09:11 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the motor is going bad.If you can get it open lube the slides some times thy jamb.

The motors are not to fun to replace you have to drop the headliner.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:32 AM
Tankard

Follow these steps before replacing the motor, because it's probably not the motor if you can still hear it trying to work.

1. Clean rails with wd-40, and thin flatheaded screwdriver with towel on end. This will take a while, depending on how clean you get it.

2. After finished, i used silicon spray to lube the rails because it does'nt gook up.

3. This is what caused mine to quit working. The swich itself, inside the car, needed the contact points cleaned. I took the switch out of the car, took it apart, and cleaned the contact points.

4. Also, manually crank the thing behind the sunroof with the tool , to see if the sunroof still cranks open and closed. If it does'nt, then the belt(chain), or whatever makes it move is broken/come off the track. This was not my problem.

Mine has worked perfectly ever since. Mine is a 91 crx. I don't know if the 85switch is like mine or not, but i'm sure it is.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:55 PM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

What tool and where do you manually crank it? I have an 89 with a slow moving sunroof. Just want to know how to do it if it gets stuck.