Notices

Weird Clicking Sound in Steering

Old 09-11-2006, 10:02 AM
tjh2a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Clicking Sound in Steering

I am new to theis forum and I am asking for someone to help diagnosing a problem that I am having with my steering. It is happening in my 1991 Civic LX 4-door, automatic transmission, 161K. Basically I am hearing a clicking sound when I turn a corner and I can also feel it in the steering wheel. It seems as if the only time I can feel or hear it is when I am accelerating and turning a corner. It doesn't seem to do it on wide turns and/or when I am not giving it any gas. It also occures when I am turning either left or right.

Could this be a problem related to the ball-joints or transmission? I grow up around working on domestic vehicles and I have just recently got into imports so I am trying to learn more about Hondas.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:11 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

Originally Posted by tjh2a
I am new to theis forum and I am asking for someone to help diagnosing a problem that I am having with my steering. It is happening in my 1991 Civic LX 4-door, automatic transmission, 161K. Basically I am hearing a clicking sound when I turn a corner and I can also feel it in the steering wheel. It seems as if the only time I can feel or hear it is when I am accelerating and turning a corner. It doesn't seem to do it on wide turns and/or when I am not giving it any gas. It also occures when I am turning either left or right.

Could this be a problem related to the ball-joints or transmission? I grow up around working on domestic vehicles and I have just recently got into imports so I am trying to learn more about Hondas.
The clicking sound you're hearing is your axel CV joints popping. You probably have a small tear or slice in your axel boot and got some sand in there and it is jsut grinding away at ur CV joints. You need to replace taht axel as soon as you can. Just for safety reasons....and assurance. Cause if it breaks while u are driving you can mess up other stuff while a metal rod is flinging around when u were doing 70 or 80 on the highway. I have replaced a bunch of axels and that always fixes the problem. Just replace it now so you dont have problems later. A remanufactured axel costs around 60-70 bucks. A new one will be about $125.

That's my 2 cents......
Old 09-11-2006, 11:15 AM
tjh2a

Default Thanks

thank you for the advice and I just did a quick search and I think that it probably is the CV Joint. Good thing I only live 1.5 miles from work and I rearly have to take the highway very often. Sounds like it could have been worse.