Notices

How long can i drive with no boot?

Old 06-11-2006, 08:50 PM
90CvcDX
kekeke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long can i drive with no boot?

While replacing my brake discs and putting my rims on i noticed my passenger side cv boot was completely gone... i do not know how long it has been this way, but the entire cavity was bone dry. How long will it last until something seizes up or snaps? right now i dont have any money since i quit my job and the boot that was on there before was a quick boot the previous owner put on. I need it to last at least two-three weeks until i get paid from my new job, all money i get and my girlfriend's money are going towards repairing her car, and this is currently our only means of transportation.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:58 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

Damn, that sucks. I noticed I had a small tear in mine about a month ago, it just clicks. I know I need to change it. But your is a totally different story, I would chagne it ASAP if I were you.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:35 AM
Tankard

I've always just changed the boot and re packed with grease before it starts clicking and popping. That is, if you catch it in time. Some people say to go ahead and buy the whole cv joint. I look at it this way. 10 bucks for the boot is 90 bucks cheaper than the whole joint. But to answer your question, you can probably drive it for a while with no boot(until it starts clicking and popping), but then you will certainly need to replace the whole joint instead of just the boot. When it starts making noises, is when it will probably break soon, leaving you stranded.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:45 AM
90CRXTC

Default The Boot!

Your CV joint boot is nothing more than a dust and debri cover which simply helps to keep the joint itself clean. It plays litle to no role in keeping the joint full of grease! If there is no clicking at this point you can just replace the boot. If there is noise, you'll need to replace joint ASAP. But I have yet to hear of a cv joint falling off or causing an accident by itself. Just drive cautiously!
Ice
Old 06-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Jigglypuff

Originally Posted by 90CRXTC
Your CV joint boot is nothing more than a dust and debri cover which simply helps to keep the joint itself clean. It plays litle to no role in keeping the joint full of grease! If there is no clicking at this point you can just replace the boot. If there is noise, you'll need to replace joint ASAP. But I have yet to hear of a cv joint falling off or causing an accident by itself. Just drive cautiously!
Ice
So if we lived in a completely sterile environment and there wasn't a boot on the joint, the axle would still operate properly indefinitely? I'm kind of doubtful of that seeing as how the boot logically seems to keep the grease contained.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:49 PM
ED9man
driver

If it breaks it's going to whip around and break shit. Get new axles ASAP. You can't just get a new boot if it's been open for any amount of time.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:52 PM
SirHybrid

All the grease spins off if there is no boot. It's called centrifugal force, or something like that. More importantly are the ball joint boots. I had a ball joint break once going about 40 mph, and the wheel went 90 degrees sideways in the wheel well causing me to almost be pulled into the curb. If it was the other side, I would've crossed into oncoming traffic.It also broke the cv joint when that happened. That was a bad day.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:46 PM
crx+rx7owner

i always wear shoes while driving.usually not boots though.jk.

if you think about it logicaly, you should replace the cv axle right away. if any sand or dibris has been caught by the joint(it definatly has) than it is acting like sandpaper on the joint every time it is driven. any dibris will cause fast wear and make your car more prone to failing at an inconveiniant time. so my suggetion is to just pay the money to replace it now, or buy a boot and than need an axle in a few months, costing more money than if you just fix the problem. i hope my advice is helpful.

ps. the cheap "solutions" usually fail.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:28 AM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Originally Posted by 90CRXTC
Ice
Are you kidding? The boot keeps the grease from leaving the joint, and also protects the joint from the elements(sand, dirt, rocks, whatever...). If the boot goes, the cv joint will follow soon after.
To answer the original question, no one can say how long it will last. If you can, drive the car only when you have to, or at least keep the joint greased somehow until you can replace the boot(or joint if it wears before then). Passenger side axle runs 70 bucks at autozone for 89-91 civic/crxs with d16a engine. Boot runs about 15-20 bucks. If you don't have ANY clicking from your axle when turning(turn the wheel all the way), then you can get away with just replacing the boot, but if there is ANY clicking at all, replace the entire axle. Good luck!
Old 06-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by RevengeCRX
Are you kidding? The boot keeps the grease from leaving the joint, and also protects the joint from the elements(sand, dirt, rocks, whatever...).
This is true. The boot is there more to hold the grease in then to keep the road junk out.

I would advise against driving a car with a broken boot, however it is usually safe until it starts clicking very loudly in turns.

I've had a customer come in with a severly damaged axle from driving it too long. As I was bringing it into the shop, it broke apart and CV bearings flew everywhere. :chuckles: