Notices

1989 Civic LX engine swap plz respond

Old 02-16-2006, 06:13 AM
juggalotus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 Civic LX engine swap plz respond

I just got a 1989 Civic Lx for free and I was wondering what engines would fit. The engine in it right now is a D15B and i was wondering what engines were compatible.

thx
Old 02-16-2006, 11:35 AM
Wharbone

There is a pre 92 civic forum. You may want to check there.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:26 AM
SilenceSD

Originally Posted by Wharbone
There is a pre 92 civic forum. You may want to check there.
This is the pre 92 civic forum.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:51 AM
97civicEXVTEC

Originally Posted by SilenceSD
This is the pre 92 civic forum.
Correct. Now search. :slap:
Old 02-17-2006, 12:14 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Originally Posted by juggalotus
I just got a 1989 Civic Lx for free and I was wondering what engines would fit. The engine in it right now is a D15B and i was wondering what engines were compatible.

thx

Well once you convert it from DPFI to MPFI, the options are limitless... It shares the same engine bay as a CRX which has plenty of options from a D15B VTEC to B18C5 to a K24... So to answer your question, just about any Honda engine worth swapping will go into your car with the right amount of work and money...
Old 02-17-2006, 12:24 PM
mr.crx

Originally Posted by Exempt
Well once you convert it from DPFI to MPFI, the options are limitless... It shares the same engine bay as a CRX which has plenty of options from a D15B VTEC to B18C5 to a K24... So to answer your question, just about any Honda engine worth swapping will go into your car with the right amount of work and money...

ya and five grand later you have a fast car. dont think thats what he talking about. the d15 and the d16 are what came stock in the those cars in america. you can usually pic those up for any where between 3 and 5 hundred. you can go another route and do the d15b vtec like said previously for anywhere between 5 and 8 hundred. now if you really want you can find a b16a that came out of the crx in japan. that will cost you about 1500 to 1700 for a complete swap.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:37 PM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Originally Posted by mr.crx
ya and five grand later you have a fast car. dont think thats what he talking about. the d15 and the d16 are what came stock in the those cars in america. you can usually pic those up for any where between 3 and 5 hundred. you can go another route and do the d15b vtec like said previously for anywhere between 5 and 8 hundred. now if you really want you can find a b16a that came out of the crx in japan. that will cost you about 1500 to 1700 for a complete swap.
Good suggestions, but he did say what engines would fit, he didn't specify his budget. D16a6 or most pre-OBD d-series(or the ZC) would be a budget engine, B16a or b18a/b would be a mild budget swap, and b18c1/c5 would be a high budget($4-$5k) swap.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:29 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Originally Posted by mr.crx
ya and five grand later you have a fast car. dont think thats what he talking about.

If thats the case then he should have said what his budget and plans were/are... Until then, I just answered his generic and very vague question with a broad answer...
Old 02-17-2006, 07:58 PM
juggalotus

thx for your budget question i dont have a job and dont have much in my savings account because at 14 employers dont like to hire you that much. I got the car for free and i know nothing of fuel injected engines. do you know any sites or books that could give me instructions on how to swap th engines. thanks for all the help.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:01 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Originally Posted by juggalotus
thx for your budget question i dont have a job and dont have much in my savings account because at 14 employers dont like to hire you that much. I got the car for free and i know nothing of fuel injected engines. do you know any sites or books that could give me instructions on how to swap th engines. thanks for all the help.

Well in that case, hostly man, since ur only 14... U dont want to hook your first car for speed... Because it can and will get you into trouble, if not worse... You need to drive for atleast a few yrs and get the feel of the wheel before you step into a car with some power behind it... That said, I doubt youll listen, I know I wouldnt at that age either...

The best general Honda swap book if "Honda Engine Swaps" by Aaron Bonk... It taught me quite a bit... It dosnt go deep into details that will bore you, but it will teach you what combinations are known to work and basically where to start... As for sites, theres this one and Honda-tech (tho they are as 'friendly' there as here tho, dont say I didnt warn u), and google... Those are the best resources for reading... Just search and read... I can tell you now, noone will hand feed you with too much info (that would take too much time honestly)... Its your job to do all the running around and reading...

With your budget, Id reccomend a DOHC ZC or SOHC VTEC (D15B VTEC, D16Z6, D16Y8)... They are worthwhile swaps, dont take too much too install (the SOHC VTECs take a bit more tho), and is relatively cheap (SOHC VTECs again are a bit more expensive)... Other budget swaps are a D16A6 which is the 88-91 CRX/Civic Si/EX engine, it wont net you too much HP stock, but it will be a decent platform to build up...

Last edited by Exempt; 02-17-2006 at 10:05 PM.