Notices

Noise in front end

Old 02-08-2006, 02:07 AM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise in front end

Hey everyone! Well I got the axle fixed the other day, but was having a slight problem when tightening the lower balljoint. It kept spinning with the nut, but I finally pushed really hard downward on the knuckle and the balljoint finally tightened up. I also noticed the boot was torn on the balljoint.
Now, the reason i explain that was because I think it may relate to my problem. When I turn to the right at speeds above around 30mph or so, I get this really weird vibration. Almost like running over a bunch of those little bumps in the road, but a bit louder, and coming from only the front driver's side of the car, and it's only in intervals, it doesn't constantly make noise, but it does do it rhythmically. It also happens when I go over dips fairly fast.
What could cause this kind of noise? I'm thinking it could be the balljoint, but I don't wanna have to replace it if it's not a possible cause. Reason is because the owner before had the big brake upgrade, but doesn't know what car the knuckles came out of. I have no clue either, as some of u may know, I tried searching all over the place for different wheel bearings from different years of different cars, but to no avail. So replacing the balljoint may be quite a hassle too.
Either way, any help is always appreciated. Thanks in advance guys and gals!
Old 02-08-2006, 10:57 AM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Bump for help.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:28 PM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Bump
Old 02-08-2006, 07:45 PM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Anyone?
Old 02-08-2006, 11:21 PM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Well, got impatient and took it apart. Turns out it was possibly the lower balljoint, but the tie rod was chewed to shit. Boot was gone and the bolt spun freely. That and the axle could've accelerated the lower balljoint's wear. It's all good now, just need an alignment...
Old 02-10-2006, 12:50 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

My general rule: If there is supposed to be a boot there, and it's torn or missing... replace the part. Axles, tie rod ends, steering racks, ball joints, you name it.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:48 AM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Actually, there was a polyurethane cover over the joint on the tie-rod, but it just popped off when I removed the tie rod. I saw the inside, and man it was not pretty... I'm just glad I was able to catch it before it broke going 60mph on the freeway, phew.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:03 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by RevengeCRX
Actually, there was a polyurethane cover over the joint on the tie-rod
What? Explain, please.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:45 AM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

I guess the previous owner wanted (or tried to hide) to cover the boot (or the non existent boot) with a polyurethane boot. Upon inspection, it was loosely seated over the tie-rod's balljoint, and when removed, revealed that there was no actual boot on the joint. Very lucky to have caught it.
I'll post up a pic later today.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:38 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

OK, that is a normal thing included with aftermarket polyurethane bushing kits... it's not uncommon to see them covering up destroyed stock boots.