Notices

What is symtom of bad Map Sensor

Old 02-06-2006, 08:23 PM
hazelnuthomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is symtom of bad Map Sensor

Can anyone tell me what the symptom of a bad Map Sensor is? My 91 Civic Wagon all of a sudden overnight the engine boggs down immediatly when the gas pedal is is depressed the the power slowly returns as the car reaches the speed im trying to get to. It acts like the old vintage engines did when the vacuum advance units got a leak in them. I have a D15b I already changed plugs/wires/distributor/cap/rotor and fuel filter and ran a couple cans of injector cleaner through the tank. I was gonna buy a Map Sensor but the durn things are $260 at AutoZone! Geeeeez I dont wanna sink that much unless Im sure I need it. I get no eror codes on the ECU. Any ideas from all you Civic Dudes and Du-dettes. :0)
Old 02-06-2006, 08:42 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

When I redid the vacuum lines on to reduce the mess in my old Civic, I encountered a problem like this... it was a result of T'ing off the MAP vacuum line thus not giving the MAP sensor a proper vacuum sample. It didn't throw a code either, but that was a pre-OBD computer.

Total MAP failure should throw the proper check code, however.

Have you checked the TPS sensor? It's a common cause of sudden bogging issues.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:32 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by hazelnuthomer
Can anyone tell me what the symptom of a bad Map Sensor is? My 91 Civic Wagon all of a sudden overnight the engine boggs down immediatly when the gas pedal is is depressed the the power slowly returns as the car reaches the speed im trying to get to. It acts like the old vintage engines did when the vacuum advance units got a leak in them. I have a D15b I already changed plugs/wires/distributor/cap/rotor and fuel filter and ran a couple cans of injector cleaner through the tank. I was gonna buy a Map Sensor but the durn things are $260 at AutoZone! Geeeeez I dont wanna sink that much unless Im sure I need it. I get no eror codes on the ECU. Any ideas from all you Civic Dudes and Du-dettes. :0)
if you figure it out, and it does turn out to be a MAP sensor, I have one I could sell to you for a butt load less than 260 bucks
Old 02-06-2006, 11:47 PM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Originally Posted by hazelnuthomer
Kai's right. This is the EXACT same problem I had with my old d16a6. It would bog when I accelerated a little fast, and would stop after a few seconds. It would do this mainly in third gear, but it could happen in any gear. It's definitely a sign of a bad tps sensor. Hmmm... If your ecu isn't throwing codes, u could always check the resistance on the sensor itself, and also, check for power with a tester.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:35 PM
hazelnuthomer

Thanks everyone Ill check out the TPS and report back