Notices

may have blown my engine, need opinions!

Old 09-15-2002, 08:22 PM
ronaldmcdonald

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default may have blown my engine, need opinions!

I think I may have blown my '89 CRX Si's stock engine's head gaskets recently, and mechanics everywhere are quoting me at least $500 to get the problem solved. This kinda sucks, because I just recently shelled out another $500 to replace my stock radiator with a fluidyne unit.

I'm not really sure whether or not it's worth spending the $500 to fix the damn head gasket (and that's if it's only the head gasket, and not the head(s) as well). There might also be a possibility that the water pump is broken, so that's probably going to set me back at least $300. Futhermore, my engine has also 206k miles on it, so I'm not sure if it's entirely worth putting that money into it.

For aroud the same price I could probably buy another d16, or perhaps even a ZC that ought to bolt in relatively easily. Then again, what I would had my engine not blown, was to save and build up a B16a, w/ some boring, forged rods, forged pistons, and some sleeving done. I figure this would at least take me another 2-3 months to save up.

Another problem is that I'm in the SF/Bay Area (N.Cal) right now. I don't know any good shops out here, I can't store my car in N.Cal for too long, and I would rather have swaps done at a mechanics I now in LA or Orange County. However transportation isn't cheap either.

That bieng said, what do you think I should do? Is it worth a few hundred bucks to get my car transported down to LA, and save up for a built b16a swap, or should I get a D16a or a ZC swap up in N Cal? Mind you, someone would have to recommend a good mechanic with affordable rates (everyone up here charges $80-$100 an hour!!), if I were to do the swap.

Please help me out, thanks!
Old 09-16-2002, 04:33 AM

well.....head gaskets are a motherbish to change/fix/repair. go with the swap
Old 09-16-2002, 05:15 AM
WhiteRice

I recommend the ZC swap....it's easy to do and it's inexpensive. It sounds like it wouldn't be worth it to fix your si engine anyway. The money saved by going w/a ZC compared to a b16, you could piece together a junkyard turbo and still have money left over!
Old 09-16-2002, 09:57 AM
ronaldmcdonald

well, I know that a ZC engine and ecu costs about $5-600 (maybe I'll get Zdyne software as well). What I'm worried about is how much I can expect to pay in labor costs. How many hours of labor can I expect to pay? I have no mechanical skills whatsoever, so I would have to pay someone else to do the swap.
Old 09-16-2002, 10:10 AM
WhiteRice

OOoohhh...was unaware you weren't doing it yourself.....I have no clue how much it costs. It took us a weekend to do the ZC swap, and that was with no previous swap experience.
Old 09-16-2002, 12:10 PM
excitid

If you are really looking foward to the b series swap then just go ahead and tow it home and save your cash for the b series. I wanted to go b series around tax time and my stock engine went bad and I just had it replaced with a engine I got from a totaled si with 67000 miles. I paid 300 for the motor and I just had a local shop put it in since it was a straight forward install. It was alomost 300 for install but I stalled them out a day so I could get a replacement trans before the warrentee expired. I would suggest doing what most pleases your wallet or is more conveniant to your situation. I had my headgasket done at the dealer about 3 years ago and it cost a little over 600 I would never do it again. The car had 190000 and 4 months later it sounded like an old chevy engine knocking away.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:57 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

find a cool person by you that knows how to do these things and has the proper tools

btw...a zc won't pass cali emissions so it is out of the question unless you want to try to find someone will pass you illegally

i'd look into a sohc vtec swap to pass emissions...cheaper engine and bolts right in
Old 09-16-2002, 08:37 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Well, if the head is not warped, it's not that hard to just swap the headgasket. All you really have to do is disconnect everything from the head and intake manifold, unbolt, and lift it off. It should only take a few hours, but I would recommend replacing the headbolts (about $80 for a set). I helped a friend swap his 8-valve 93 CX head for a 16 valve 89 head and fresh headgasket, and that took about the same amount of time and labor as changing the headgasket alone.

If you're head is warped, however, I say swap it for whatever you can legally install. (california...smog... hahaha!)
Old 09-17-2002, 09:12 AM
ronaldmcdonald

Ok, I decided to ship my car back to LA, from N.Cal. It turns out I was able to borrow someone's truck, and rented an auto transport/dolly for some US$140, which isn't too bad I guess, considering the next cheapest option of auto transport was somewhere around $280.

So, I probably won't be able to drive my rex at least until the end of the year while I save and build up a b16a. I'll miss my car, but I'm sure the wait will eventually pay off somehow. The only thing that bothers me is that my VW is also in the shop, and will be there for at least another month, so I have to drive my mom's decrepit '88 Buick Rivier.

Nonetheless, thanks for the suggestions!
Old 09-17-2002, 09:21 AM
WhiteRice

Originally posted by ronaldmcdonald
I have to drive my mom's decrepit '88 Buick Rivier.
It's gotta be better then walking right?!?!

Quick Reply: may have blown my engine, need opinions!