Notices

89 CRX Hypothetical Swap Question

Old 12-27-2005, 01:07 AM
Kevito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 CRX Hypothetical Swap Question

Greetings,
I have just purchased a 89' CRX for a good price (about $2000 usd) and am thinking about doing some sort of an engine swap. I've talked to a number of people who have done these swaps and I've come down to two possibilities with some pros and cons. Can anyone help me get more pros and cons so I can sit down and figure out which swap to do? I'm looking at a streetable car that shouldn't draw too much attention from the locals. If I'm wrong anywhere can you point it out and give some reasons why

Either B16 turbo swap with turbo or B18 NA swap. If you have any other suggestions, by all means please let me know.

B16A TURBO
Pros: More torque up top, lighter weight, less expensive motor, lower compression ratio (maybe con too?), easier to wire if OBD0/1....
Cons: Oil changes (more frequent oil changes), intercooling piping costs, room for intercooler, exhaust system backpressure considerations, overall more complex to setup....

B18A/C NA
Pros: Less work overall to install (basically crate motor), NA reliability, high redline, high compression ratio...
Cons: Heavier motor (issues about handling with so much weight in front), more expensive motor, more complicated wiring, modifications to suspention...
Old 12-27-2005, 06:05 AM
extensioncordy
EG6

the turbo setup would make up in any weight difference and also you say b18a/c theyre very diffrent motors the b18a is the early teg motor non vtec...not so high compression the b18c is a jdm motor its vtec and has very high compression

your best bet if your considering boost and can afford it.. would be a b18a or b and boost it they love boost
Old 12-28-2005, 04:42 PM
brianbu01

If you dont have alot of money, and not a very good mechanic the zc swap is pretty cheap arround 600-1000, and direct bolt-on replacement. Then you can turbo that.