Notices

cigarette lighter install

Old 11-25-2005, 06:47 AM
Hatchbak89
"hey flip that cow pie!"

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cigarette lighter install

I have an after market car cigarette lighter, and want to know how to install it?
Old 11-26-2005, 10:40 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

Do you mean like an APC one that is silver. Cuz all you gotta do is plug it in.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:42 PM
Hatchbak89
"hey flip that cow pie!"

yeah all you gotta do is plug it in, but I dont know where to plug it in to
Old 11-26-2005, 08:39 PM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

Originally Posted by Hatchbak89
yeah all you gotta do is plug it in, but I dont know where to plug it in to
I think he meant put into OEM outlet for cigarette lighter. Do you mean a 'whole' new unit, which includes an outlet & lighter? In that case you need to take the center console cover off. Once that is off you can see the oulet unit and hooking the new one up should be as easy as taking the old one out.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:58 PM
Hatchbak89
"hey flip that cow pie!"

Probabally, but I never had an old one. There was a perforrated thing I could punch out and put one in.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:44 AM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

Here, hope this helps. It's right out of the shop manual

PM me if you'd like a zip file of the PDF's for yourself.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Iansane

Hrmm... thanks, but my problem is a that I've never had a cigarette lighter, those instructions are for replacement, which would be fairly easy as I could just look at what it had been like previously... right now I've got several bunchs of wires under there and I'm not sure what to do with them. I've got one bundle plugged in to the relay (well, at least I know what that thing is now ), another bundle with a 4p plug sitting loose, and another bundle of about 10-15 wires that seem to have been cut loose... there's no stereo in the car, I'm guessing these wires are ment for a stereo? it still has the faceplate covering the stereo slot.

Anyway, I'm guessing the 4p plug is what I connect the cigarette lighter assembly to, but my very crude test of sticking the two wires coming from the assembly (one from the middle of the lighter, one from the attached bulb) into each of the 4 slots while the lighter was pushed in (to heat up) netted neither a lit bulb nor a heated assembly... I guess I need to go out and buy a multimeter now? Or am I even trying to connect to the right wires? Judging from the wiring harness diagram I *think* it's the right one, but...
Then again, I did that test without the keys in the ignition, d'you think that's required? Oh, and the fuses for the cigarette relay etc LOOK good... hrm, I really need to get myself a multimeter.

Well, thanks

Ian

*edit* Well, I did it with the key in and turned this time, and I got power from the 4pin in two of the slots.... but when I was putting the consol cover back in place (with everything plugged in and the key still in/on...) I think I blew something, 'cause I saw a spark and smelled "burning" behind the cover.... and now I don't have power :P I think I just blew the relay, how does one go about fixing that?

Last edited by Iansane; 09-09-2006 at 11:13 AM. Reason: further info
Old 09-09-2006, 03:42 PM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

Seriously, if you don't know what you're doing, at least get a manual. You can't just start hooking wires up and running power to them if you're not sure what they connect to or lead from. You are going to fry components that are not easy to get, and certainly not cheap. Stop fooling around or you'll be pulling your hair out real soon.