Notices

CRX won't crank, stumped, need help, very detailed info

Old 11-11-2005, 06:34 PM
sidewayz32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRX won't crank, stumped, need help, very detailed info

car: 1990 CRX Si (d16a6)

original problem: car would die and then crank, but it would not get spark. it was getting fuel at the time. it started up after i replaced the ignition switch, but ended up dieing again 2 days later.

new problem: after the car died the last time and wouldn't spark i left it sitting overnight. the next day, it wouldn't crank. it still does not crank.

something i just noticed: ECU does not come on when key is turned

parts replaced so far:
plugs, wires, distributor, distributor cap and rotor, battery, both battery cables, starter, ignition switch, and the main relay.

things checked:
-all fuses are good
-all grounds are good
-ignition/starter combo switch (clutch safety switch that senses when the clutch pedal is pressed in) is not stuck
-i am getting power to the starter on both terminals. big one all the time. small one when the key is turned to position 3
-the wires going into and out of the fuse box are all "hot"
-the crank and cam both turn manually and the timing belt is not broken

anybody got any ideas or questions?
Old 11-11-2005, 08:25 PM
doc843574

Default D16a6 No Crank

Hi there! About your no crank situation, If you are getting 12 volts to your starter at the battery cable and the switch wire (when you turn the ign. to #3 position) and starter wont crank, your starter is bad. Thats assuming its grounding properly. electrons flow negative to positive, not positive to negative as most people believe. To make sure its grounding properly, take jumper cables and connect negative bat. to starter case. If it still doesnt crank, buy a starter. Hope this helps!
Old 11-12-2005, 09:50 AM
sidewayz32

Originally Posted by doc843574
Hi there! About your no crank situation, If you are getting 12 volts to your starter at the battery cable and the switch wire (when you turn the ign. to #3 position) and starter wont crank, your starter is bad. Thats assuming its grounding properly. electrons flow negative to positive, not positive to negative as most people believe. To make sure its grounding properly, take jumper cables and connect negative bat. to starter case. If it still doesnt crank, buy a starter. Hope this helps!
i've tried three different starters. original one, a rebuilt one i bought at autozone, and a known working one from a friend. i'm not getting power to the ECU
Old 11-12-2005, 04:32 PM
ED9man
driver

Originally Posted by sidewayz32
i've tried three different starters. original one, a rebuilt one i bought at autozone, and a known working one from a friend. i'm not getting power to the ECU
The ECU could be fried.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:39 AM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Originally Posted by ED9man
The ECU could be fried.
That's what I was gonna say. If your ecu is not working, your engine will not start, it probably won't even crank. Try using a known good ecu, hopefully u can find one.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:02 AM
sidewayz32

ya that's my next step. i'm trying to find one locally before i get one off of ebay or something.