Notices

Cooling Fan Wont turn off

Old 10-04-2005, 02:48 PM
davidcrx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling Fan Wont turn off

Im having a this problem with my 91 crx si b16a. after i finish driving it the cooling fan will stay on and wont turn off. anyone have a solution?
Old 10-04-2005, 03:29 PM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

It should eventually turn off after a minute or so, it takes longer after "spirited" driving. If it doesn't, then you probably have a problem with you thermoswitch. You could unplug your fan from everything, then hook it directly to a switch, that way you could turn the fan off and on whenever you want. I've seen plenty of people do that, especially those with excessive underhood temps.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:34 PM
Tankard

This post makes me remember my 86 crx dx fan used to run after turning the car off. Of course, it eventually stopped. My 91 crx si's fan never runs after it's turned off. Does this mean somethings wrong with it or is it designed not to? I'd guess your problem is a temperature sending unit gone bad, but like i said, mine never even runs when it's off, with a sohc zc motor(not b16a). I'm not sure if the different motor should have anything to do with it or not.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:41 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

I wouldn't worry about it, unless it NEVER turns off. If it turns off evventually, I know alot of cars that turn off like that. After the car turns off.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:30 AM
davidcrx

It never turns off it turns off when the battery dies.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:33 AM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

Stick a switch on that bitch.

The end.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:24 AM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Originally Posted by Tankard
This post makes me remember my 86 crx dx fan used to run after turning the car off. Of course, it eventually stopped. My 91 crx si's fan never runs after it's turned off. Does this mean somethings wrong with it or is it designed not to? I'd guess your problem is a temperature sending unit gone bad, but like i said, mine never even runs when it's off, with a sohc zc motor(not b16a). I'm not sure if the different motor should have anything to do with it or not.
That probably means that the previous owner wired the fan to turn on with the engine, and turn off when the car is off. If your fan turns on as soon as you turn the car on, then that indicates this sort of wiring. So no, the fans on crxs were not designed to shut off immediately after the car is off, they run after the engine is shut off to cool it down(although not totally necessary). To correct this, you could simply find the wire, trace it back to where it is spliced into the engine harness, snip it off, and wire it back to the original thermoswitch. Finding that switch could be a little difficult, or impossible if the previous owner destroyed it. You can buy a universal fan thermoswitch, which turns the fan off and on, depending on the temperature, from www.summitracing.com, among other places.
Or like bluetwo said, you can just wire up a switch, and foget about it! That's what I did.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:26 AM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Originally Posted by davidcrx
It never turns off it turns off when the battery dies.
Whoa... Sounds like your fan is hardwired right to the battery somehow, OR the relay or switch that activates the fan has shorted, and just keeps sending power until your battery dies...Just take bluetwo's advice. Snip that sucker off and wire it to a switch. You just have to remember to turn off the fan when you turn off the car .
Old 10-06-2005, 08:43 AM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

Yeah....

And I was kind of joking too. But that is certainly one temporary fix. I know I wouldnt' like turning that sh!t off and on every time I drove.

Buy, borrow or just get out your repair manual and troubleshoot it that way. I'm really not familiar enough to get you any further than that.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:06 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

I have the exact same problem, it just started happening. It is your coolant temperature sensor. You need to get a new one. When it goes bad, it tells your car to turn on the fan, Thus it is on all the time. They run about 35 bucks or so. It is the sensor that is on the head.