Notices

Motor swap options...V6?

Old 05-22-2005, 02:44 PM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor swap options...V6?

I was having a conversation with a friend, who is a very knowledgeable mechanic, about my motor swap plans; B18C1 turbo. He says "Let's drop a V6 instead".

At first I'm thinking "Wow, that could put out some good numbers, notably torque". Then I'm thinking about weight and understeer. I suppose the added weight up front could be compensated by adding weight to the rear, and the car would still be relatively light. Then I start thinking if there would even be enough room under the hood to do something like that, considering an H22 swap pushes that issue pretty close.

I've done a search and have not come up with anything. Has anyone ever seen or heard of anyone doing this? If it could be done with minimal body and frame modifications I may seriously consider trying it. I figure an Accord 3.0L or an RL Type-S would be the ones to try.

Thoughts anyone?
Old 05-22-2005, 02:53 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anything can fit with work and i feel that it is not a good choice becuase of the cost.

drop a i4 in there, if you are looking for rev numbers look at a b16 or k20 if you are looking for power look at a h/f/k or b18c or b18b with turbo

my choice would actually be a b18c1 or c5 with turbo, but thats just me.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:09 PM
ED9man
driver

Stupid idea, super PITA to fit, no aftermarket for any Honda V6's, all custom to get it to fit with lots of fabrication. It'll be more than fast enough with a GSR-T. There's no good reason to try and drop a V6.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:27 PM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

Originally Posted by sherwood
anything can fit with work and i feel that it is not a good choice becuase of the cost.

drop a i4 in there, if you are looking for rev numbers look at a b16 or k20 if you are looking for power look at a h/f/k or b18c or b18b with turbo

my choice would actually be a b18c1 or c5 with turbo, but thats just me.
I mentioned my plans are B18C1-T.

I'm not too familar with K-series motors(I'm guessing RSX-Type S?), so I'm not sure of aftermarket support > B-series aftermarket support.

WTF does 'h/f/k' stand for?

Originally Posted by ED9man
Stupid idea, super PITA to fit, no aftermarket for any Honda V6's, all custom to get it to fit with lots of fabrication. It'll be more than fast enough with a GSR-T. There's no good reason to try and drop a V6.
Well I've seen a CL Type-S with a Supercharger, but yeah, the whole idea is probably more trouble than it's worth. I'm gonna stick to the GSR-T, or a TypeR-T if $ doesn't become an issue.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:49 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PacificDude

I'm not too familar with K-series motors(I'm guessing RSX-Type S?), so I'm not sure of aftermarket support > B-series aftermarket support.

WTF does 'h/f/k' stand for?
yes it's the rsx/si motor and i was refering to h series (h22x, h23X) f series (f22X, f23X, f20b) and k series (k20x, k24x)
Old 05-22-2005, 06:05 PM
ED9man
driver

Actually if you have the cash look at this, these motors have incredible potential, not to mention 6 speeds.

http://www.hasport.com/Products/Mount%20Kits/EFK1.htm
Old 05-22-2005, 06:15 PM
B00STisBetter

dont do it.. buy a b20 bottom end and gsr head. get low compresion kit with sleves and everything (about $2000) and boost the hell out of it.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:25 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

It won't fit, that's why noone does it. A J-series engine is huge compaired to the stock engine, even compaired to an H-series. The Accords that use them don't have much underhood room and they are much bigger then EF's.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:46 PM
ED9man
driver

Originally Posted by Kai
It won't fit, that's why noone does it. A J-series engine is huge compaired to the stock engine, even compaired to an H-series. The Accords that use them don't have much underhood room and they are much bigger then EF's.
Exactly, and like I said there's nothing really that great about those motors.