Notices

problem with halo projector wiring

Old 05-22-2005, 01:54 PM
xpman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with halo projector wiring

I bought a '91 CRX with aftermarket projector headlamps already installed. The "halo" portion of the lamps were never hooked up though. The low beam/high beam portions are already hooked up and work fine.

Here's how I hooked up the halos:

I'm not sure on the legal issues for halos in my state so I wanted them routed through a switch. Each halo (there's 2, not 4) has a red and a black wire coming from it. I tied the two red together and routed that wire back to an LED switch. I then spliced into my passenger side parking light (the parking light has two reds and one black with both reds reading 12V when the lamps are on) and also ran that back to the switch. The third leg on the switch is ground which I ran to a ground screw under the dash. I took the two black wires from the halos, tied them together, and grounded them to the body.

When I turned on the switch, the switch lit up (so far so good) but the halos didn't light up properly. If you look close at the halo, you can see each one has two very small LEDs. Only one of the four lit up!

I don't know if I hooked something up wrong or if the LEDs are bad. Should I have used a resistor for them? I don't know if the LEDs are for a 12V system or not. I can't imagine an aftermarket lamp assembly that you would have to add components to just to make them work!

The brand name on the projectors is Sonar.

Has anybody hooked these up successfuly?

Also, I'm not sure if this is correct or not, but the way the headlights are hooked up, the low beams are the innermost and the high beams are towards the outside.?
Old 05-24-2005, 12:10 AM
EJ6Ferio

your LEDs are dead... replace em.. not that hard

Radio Shack!
Old 05-24-2005, 11:36 AM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Originally Posted by xpman
I bought a '91 CRX with aftermarket projector headlamps already installed. The "halo" portion of the lamps were never hooked up though. The low beam/high beam portions are already hooked up and work fine.

Here's how I hooked up the halos:

I'm not sure on the legal issues for halos in my state so I wanted them routed through a switch. Each halo (there's 2, not 4) has a red and a black wire coming from it. I tied the two red together and routed that wire back to an LED switch. I then spliced into my passenger side parking light (the parking light has two reds and one black with both reds reading 12V when the lamps are on) and also ran that back to the switch. The third leg on the switch is ground which I ran to a ground screw under the dash. I took the two black wires from the halos, tied them together, and grounded them to the body.

When I turned on the switch, the switch lit up (so far so good) but the halos didn't light up properly. If you look close at the halo, you can see each one has two very small LEDs. Only one of the four lit up!

I don't know if I hooked something up wrong or if the LEDs are bad. Should I have used a resistor for them? I don't know if the LEDs are for a 12V system or not. I can't imagine an aftermarket lamp assembly that you would have to add components to just to make them work!

The brand name on the projectors is Sonar.

Has anybody hooked these up successfuly?

Also, I'm not sure if this is correct or not, but the way the headlights are hooked up, the low beams are the innermost and the high beams are towards the outside.?

Well yes, the LEDs require a resistor, but on both sets of projectors Ive installed, (one of which is Sonar) they were already wired into the wires... So I doubt thats the problem... Sounds like they are bad... Try hooking them straight to a 12 volt source see if they light up... Since u say only one lights, the rest are probably bad... As if they werent wired correctly, none of them would come on... Ive only had mine for a year and one side stopped working already... B4 it went it started to blink like crazy...
Old 05-24-2005, 01:23 PM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

Stockwise, the lowbeams should be the outside and the highbeams should be towards the center, so...sounds like yours are backwards. Looked up 'sonars' and it looks like the projector/lowbeam is the outer one and the halo/highbeams are positioned to the center, so yeah yours are backwards.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:47 PM
xpman

OK, tried hooking direct to 12v and still only get 1 out 4 to light. Next step I guess is to replace.

Does anyone know how to get these projectors apart without destroying them?!

If I go to Radio Shack, do I just get LEDs that are rated for 12v?
Old 05-24-2005, 05:25 PM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

Does anyone know how to get these projectors apart without destroying them?!
Check out this DIY thread, I referenced it when I took my headlights apart to redo the reflective surface inside. As long as your projectors/housing are not plastic it should work.

DIY CTR Headlights (with pics)

If you don't feel confident doing this then just get some new ones. Hope this helps :happysad: