Notices

B18c swap

Old 05-06-2005, 08:56 AM
shady visions

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18c swap

I'm saving for a B18 swap into my 1990 CRX Si. I was wondering if anyone else here has done a similar swap, and if so, what problems did you run into, if any?

The swap I'm going to be going for is the B18C type r engine. Does anyone else know of a better B18c swap? I was informed that the type r engines pushed about 200 HP and 134 torque stock.

I know I'll need shift linkage and axles, so if anyone can point me into the direction of a good website to order them from, that they've ordered from previously and trust, I'd appreciate it.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:30 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

A GSR engine will be better suited for modifying down the road and it is cheaper than the Type R.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:24 AM
IntegraType-R
ALL MOTOR KING

<-- ITR swap, if u wanna do it and u have the money great.. but a b18c would be just as fine... but remember.. its what you have the money for.
hmotorsonline.com
Old 05-07-2005, 09:05 AM
1fasthb

Originally Posted by shady visions
I'm saving for a B18 swap into my 1990 CRX Si. I was wondering if anyone else here has done a similar swap, and if so, what problems did you run into, if any?

The swap I'm going to be going for is the B18C type r engine. Does anyone else know of a better B18c swap? I was informed that the type r engines pushed about 200 HP and 134 torque stock.

I know I'll need shift linkage and axles, so if anyone can point me into the direction of a good website to order them from, that they've ordered from previously and trust, I'd appreciate it.
Your also going to need mounts. Try ebay and get a set of Hasport mounts and shiftlinkage.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:13 AM
Fire
wanna run

i would listen to these guys on nabbing the b18c1 instead of the b18c5. First of all it will be huge to be able to convert to obd-1 as opposed to obd-2. You can get an LSD and alot of nice bolt ons and make the b18c1 pretty hot. It is just not worth the price difference to get the c5. You can swap almost any b-series part onto the c1 (minus IMs), including type R parts or tons of other aftermarket options. As far as using Hasport, DO IT. it WILL save you time and eventually money as you will not be happy nor will other products be nearly as effective.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:07 AM
shady visions

What's the difference between a hydraulic and LSD transmission?

I'm considering the B18c1 (if that's the GSR Motor), but I don't know what the difference between a hydraulic and LSD transmission is.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:21 AM
ED9man
driver

It can be both or neither, they are not inclusive or exclusive terms. LSD transmission means it is equipped with a limited slip differential, the opposite of which is an open differential. You want the LSD, it forces power to both wheels, instead of an open diff which always sends it to the wheel with less traction.

Cable or Hydraulic refers to the mechanism that engages and disengages the clutch. Your CRX has a cable mechanism, a GS-R transmission uses a hydraulic mechanism that they probably developed for people who couldn't handle a hard clutch pedal. You guessed it, your car which is designed for a cable tranny is not compatible with a hydraulic transmission. You have to do some conversion work to make it happen with the GS-R trans.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:32 AM
shady visions

would it take more work to use the LSD transmission or the Hydraulic transmission?

I would much rather have a LSD anyway.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:33 AM
ED9man
driver

No addition work to use an LSD trans, just additional cost to buy one because they are more desirable. Yes, more work for the hydro trans.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:40 AM
mikemerc85
Git-R-Done

you can have a hydraulic LSD clutch setup. Hydraulic clutch setup consist of basically pushing hydraulic fluid though a pipe from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder. cable trannys work by pulling a cable instead of pushing a rod like u would with a hydro setup. the cable slides inside whats called a sheath so it works real smooth around corners. Limited Slip Differentials has a spring pack and a set of clutches. the only time the clutches work is when something happens that makes one wheel spin faster than the other, for example when u turn, it makes both wheels wanna go at the same speed. Its pretty simple. Its not called a hydraulic transmission or cable tranmission, that doesnt make sense. its the clutch setup.