Notices

Help with radiator bubble

Old 08-28-2002, 05:57 PM
WhiteRice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with radiator bubble

I'm trying to locate the bleed bolt on my ZC and can't find it. I want to get rid of all the bubbles that are in my coolant. Any help will do. Any illustrations would do even better!!! TIA.
Old 08-29-2002, 05:21 AM
jdblack1

don't think the ZC has one. I know it's not on the hose housings
Old 08-29-2002, 07:31 AM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Can't you just open the radiator cap and let it run?
Old 08-29-2002, 08:45 AM
ISP James
DAMIMRED

Originally posted by FourthGenHatch
Can't you just open the radiator cap and let it run?
yes, much easier than bleeding the system too.
Old 08-29-2002, 02:00 PM
WhiteRice

There's a little screw that runs front to back up the lower radiator hose, close to the block that you can turn to help get the bubbles out.

Anyway, another question about the whole radiator thing. I was driving yesterday and my temp gauge went up a tad. It got to about the top of symbol on the gauge. I got home...did all the checks. Since I was on my way home from work yesterday, i really didn't get a chance to trouble shoot.

So today on my way home, the same thing. I started to feel some heat inside the car, mainly down by my feet. The vent was not on. I drive and it goes back to normal. I stop and it slowly rises again. I turn on the heat. After that, I noticed that it stayed normal when I stopped and did not rise.

What could this be.....A) either my fan isn't working (I can't tell when my fan kicks in or not, because it is very silent, i'm gonna go out here in about an hour (after engine is cool) and do the whole radiator cap off thing to get the bubbles out and see if it kicks on the 15 mins the car is running.) B) My head gasket is going bad (NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOooo Please God, be the fan!) or C) My thermostat is going. I'm not even sure if the thermo has anything to do w/the heat at all.

What do you guys think?! Just from that prelim report, what do you think is wrong?? I'll be back in about an 1 1/2 and let you nkow about the fan. If it is the fan, where should I start?? Fuses and relays?? God please be the fan.

Tahnks for the help, sorry this one is kind of long.
Old 08-29-2002, 02:31 PM
SECRET AP1
AP1/BB6

well bleed the coolant first. leave the radiator cap off and run the car to let all the bubbles out. once it stops bubbling then put the cap back on and fill the reservoir up to the max marker. try going for a drive again and see if it's happening again.

when i had my b16a swap in my EH, the old radiator that was on there was just messed up. all the heatsink finds were all bent up and there was some rust all over it. the OEM single core radiator should work fine even with a B18C5, but old radiators that are rusting will not transfer heat to the air as efficiently. seeing as how these radiators are single core, any changes in airflow across the fins is going to affect the temp especially on a bad radiator. if the coolant has been bled and it's still heating up, you may need a new radiator (thats of course if you've already confirmed that the thermostat is good and the coolant temp sensor is working).

anyways to summarize:

1. air bubbles in coolant?
2. thermostat opening?
3. temp sensor good?
4. rusted/damaged/leaking radiator?
5. old water pump?

it's probably not the headgasket unless your unable to bleed the air bubbles out of the coolant forever... good luck!
Old 08-31-2002, 05:44 PM
cwhiteboy

its either your thermostat or head gasket, imthinking your thermostat. change that, its cheap and easy..
Old 08-31-2002, 07:24 PM
WhiteRice

Originally posted by cwhiteboy
its either your thermostat or head gasket, imthinking your thermostat. change that, its cheap and easy..
Both of these items would make my car overheat...but NEITHER of them would keep the fan from turning on. Today I put in a new thermo swithc and still no dice. Tomorrow I'm gonna go through and check out grounds again.
Old 09-01-2002, 02:44 PM
WhiteRice

Got it fixed. I just ran a switch, bypassing the thermo swith. fan works now!! Woo hoo!!!!! Thanks!