Notices

passive rear steering

Old 04-24-2005, 06:13 AM
ED9man
driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default passive rear steering

Exactly what parts on my 88 CRX are different that give it the rear steering?
Old 04-25-2005, 01:43 PM
ED9man
driver

no one?
Old 04-25-2005, 02:40 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Huh? The suspension's different, but there's no rear steer in there that I know of.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:26 PM
ED9man
driver

What's different?
It has a passive rear steering system I've read about and felt myself that was taken out of the newer years because owners did not like the twitchiness, I've read that in several places. I used to think the rear slid around corners until I read about it.

"The '88 CRX also has a different rear suspension than any other CRX. Honda's unique sort-of-double-wishbone, sort-of-trailing-arm rear suspension uses a toe control link and a compliance bushing in concert to give a passive rear steering effect.

On the 1988 models, the passive rear steering is exceptionally strong, making them extremely nimble. On later years, much of the rear steering was tuned out, bringing handling more in line with conventional front drivers. Many road racers prefer the earlier car's more aggressive handling, but warn that they must be tuned differently. A big rear anti-roll bar that you would use on any other Civic or CRX is an invitation for snap oversteer on an '88. Most CRX experts agree that for a street car, '89 and later cars are preferable.

Also unique to the '88 rear suspension is a rear main lateral link or lower control arm (what you call it depends on whether you consider it a trailing arm or double wishbone suspension) of stamped steel rather than the cast iron arms of later cars. The rear shock attaches to the control arm with an eyelet, rather than the fork used on later cars. The only other U.S.-market Honda to use this style rear control arm is the Integra Type R, though many of the high-performance Japanese models used this rear arm."
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/pr...12scc_projcrx/
Old 04-25-2005, 06:26 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Didn't know they had a compliance bushing. FC's have the same basic thing for toe in our semi-trailing arm suspensions... we replace them with delrin or poly bushings to eliminate it.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:17 PM
ED9man
driver

Originally Posted by Kai
Didn't know they had a compliance bushing. FC's have the same basic thing for toe in our semi-trailing arm suspensions... we replace them with delrin or poly bushings to eliminate it.
What does it do/how does it work?
Old 04-26-2005, 03:16 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Well, in the FC's DTSS "system," when you corner hard enough these two rubber bushings (one per side) will actually squish and give the car 1* of positive toe in the direction of the turn.

Take a hard left, and the right rear will toe out 1*, while the left rear will toe in 1*.

This gives a novice to intermediate driver the feeling of better grip and more turning power. Anyone who is used to "normal" rear drive cars will feel them as twitchy and unstable at the point DTSS "activates" and once again when you go past it's ability to flex making it more difficult to tell when the car is going to let go. Polyurathane or delrin bushings eliminate that twitchy feeling for more normal, more predictable cornering.