Notices

Turbo or SuperCharger or None??????

Old 03-25-2005, 10:09 PM
StreetRacingCRX
None

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo or SuperCharger or None??????

I know the advantages of turbos like they increase horsepower a lot and increase top end speed, etc... also that they can wear your engine out faster and there is turbo lag, etc... SuperChargers can add a lot of all around power such as torque but constantly runs and wears out your engine, etc...

My question is for my CRX Si D16 Japense engine should I Turbo it? SuperCharge it? or just stick with what I got?

I heard a lot of stuff about adding turbos and superchargers and they have blown a lot of engines on CRX's because they are just not built for it.

Here are a list of my current mods

AEM Cam Gear
AEM Pully Set
OBX 4-1 Racing Headers
Ground Wire Kit
ZC Camshaft
NGK Spark Plugs
APC 10.3MM Racing Spark Plug Wires
Racing Catback Exhaust
Voltage Stabilizer
Injen Cold Air Intake
AEM Bypass Valve
Japenese D16 Motor
Racing Fuel Injectors
Power Chip
Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil 10W30

I dont want to swap because then most of these bolt ons will become useless
Old 03-25-2005, 10:33 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Good luck finding a supercharger made for that engine.

But anyways, turbocharged engines don't wear out any faster than N/A engines and in some cases, put less strain on the internals than a N/A engine.

Do a search because this has all been gone over before but if you want to PM me for some information, go for it.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:36 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

I would personally stick with N/A, and do as much as you can to the engine as N/A. The only reason is that, you can get some nice HP out of a N/A engine. You can but a stroker kit on it. which can increase it to a 1.9L engine or a 2.0L. If you are looking for easy HP then I would say go with a turbo, but then you have to get different pistons and some newer internals so that your parts don't end up burning away. I know that Jackson Racing makes a nice supercharger. BUt liek I said, some people enjoy N/A more than turbo, becasue it is raw HP. If you want easy HP go wtih turbo.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:07 AM
StreetRacingCRX
None

I know a lot about both, and I really love the blow off valve sound. I don't want to kill my engine. I want to be able to beat my friends WRX. Turbo will be kinda a quick fix but I don't want to spend even more money working on internals just to handle the turbo. The Jackson Racing SuperCharger is nice but it runs constantly!!!!
Old 03-27-2005, 05:38 PM
cwhiteboy

Actually, the Jackson Racing Supercharger does not run constantly. It only runs at more than half throttle, I don't know how, thats just the way it works. D series engines aren't really great for forced induction, they don't have reinforcing sleeves like the b series. Too high of a psi, or with improper fuel tuning, the cylinder walls will get to stressed and warp, crack, etc. I would stick with N/A with a d series, there are some pretty good after market parts, and I have seen some pretty impressive numbers come out of N/A d series. Either way, best of luck.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:47 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

Originally Posted by cwhiteboy
Too high of a psi, or with improper fuel tuning, the cylinder walls will get to stressed and warp, crack, etc. .
this applies to all boosted applications
Old 03-27-2005, 08:44 PM
StreetRacingCRX
None

well what else should I put on the car???
Old 03-28-2005, 11:08 AM
Snoopy
been there done that

a really big wing!
Old 03-28-2005, 11:46 AM
wilsel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cwhiteboy
Actually, the Jackson Racing Supercharger does not run constantly.
It runs as long as the engine is running, and the SC belt is on. However it has a bypass valve that closes so that it's like a regular intake manifold until vacumn reaches a certain point. Then it opens, and lets air pass thru the charger.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:49 PM
1fasthb

Originally Posted by StreetRacingCRX
well what else should I put on the car???
Rebuild it with some dohc zc pistons and a y8 vtec head, skunk2 manifold. Atleast that's what i would do. With that setup and what you have already should put down atleast 140 to the wheels.