Notices

Clutch Question

Old 03-04-2005, 09:01 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Question

I am kinda low on money, so I am going to put in a ACT street strip disc in place of the burnt clutch i have now. It says that it can be used with the stock pressure plate, or the one that they sell. It will still work fine when I install it right. And does anyone know what the alignment tool does, and do you have to have it to install the clutch? And I know I need to take out the flywheel and make it flat again, machine it.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:09 AM
91_CiViC_RiDeR
Passing_U_N_A_CIVIC

The alignment tools is just what it sounds like it helps align your flywheel and pressure plate and all together.....

Chris C.

Someone else will give you better info than I have though!!
Old 03-04-2005, 03:51 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Yea stock flywheel will be fine... Just as someone else said when u first posted up about a clutch, get your flywheel resurfaced... That way its done right, and they can actually shave a few lbs off it like that too and make it lighter... All their crap about their flywheel, and how its reccomended to get it, is just to sell more stuff... Granted it would probably be lighter than stock and (generally) be better for performance, its not needed... But if its too light, it can actually hurt your performance a bit too, thats why I said generally...

Heres a great clutch how-to I found a few days ago (and its for EFs too!):
http://www.geocities.com/senpai_perf...chinstall.html
Old 03-04-2005, 08:19 PM
ChrisS

When I did my clutch in December 2004, it cost the same to resurface the flywheel as to get a remanufactured flywheel $40 (note: the local machine shop didn't have any way to check the flywheel was still in balance or was in spec for flatness of the clutch contact surface; the remanufactured one was inspected for both.)

Inspect all parts (throwout bearing, pressure plate, pilot bearing in flywheel, fork that throwout bearing mounts to) and replace any worn parts. If the clutch is fried, it's a good bet that the pressure plate will be also (it's designed to wear out long before the flywheel; softer steel).

Most people buy a clutch kit which includes throwout bearing, pressure plate, clutch, and pilot bearing. (it's easier to just replace them than worry any of the old parts will fail soon; labor/your time is more valuable than the cost of replacing the parts.)

Also, use a torque wrench (preferably the click type) when putting your new clutch parts back the your car.