Notices

Ignitor Help - Please.

Old 02-20-2005, 08:37 AM
Mike Chile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignitor Help - Please.

I have been trying to get this 88 Civic LX started for a few days and having some trouble. What I have done so far was first I changed the Main Relay and after learned that I could not get a spark. It seemed the answer I was being told was the ignitor needs replacing. So I went and purchased an ignitor and could not figure how to remove the old one. I took the cap off and removed the four screws and slid the ignition coil off the top. Now I can see the ignitor but it is bolted inside where I cannot reach it to unscrew. What do I need to do here ? I did not want to start removing screw after screw until I got there because I have not a clue of what I am doing now and trying to be cautious. I would appreciate any help with this.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:37 PM
augy

Well, who told you it was the ignitor? Hopefully somebody familiar with the symptoms of your no-start situation because ignitor can give to a no-spark as easily as an ignition coil or a main relay.
But, since you asked...
There are 3 screws which affix the ignitor to the dizzy and 4 wires attached to it. Did you remove the leak cover? The leak cover is a piece of plastic which isn't actually screwed into the distributor--it just clicks into (and out of) place. Remove the leak cover (it's just a wide piece of plastic on the outermost of the distributor) and the plastic rotor--it should make removing the ignitor much easier.
Oh, and disconnect the negative battery terminal.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:51 PM
88DXCRX

http://www.markl.f9.co.uk/howto/elec...er/igniter.htm
All you have to do is remove these two screws with a 7mm socket: