Notices

91 Civic DX with flickering lights

Old 01-20-2005, 07:04 AM
dtrucken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Civic DX with flickering lights

For the past few months the lights (all lights - headlights, dash, interior) flicker or pulsate seemingly at all engine speeds. The timing of the flicker doesn't change with engine RPM. I've had the belt to the alternator inspected and it is tight. The problem seems to be getting slowly worse, and I'm a bit worried that it will climax with an ugly cloud of blue smoke and a disabled car in the center lane of the freeway during rush hour.

I replaced the battery about 6 months ago, and a recent voltmeter check says 14.2 volts when the engine is running.

Where should I start looking? Alternator, regulator, bad ground connection, new car dealer?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave
Old 01-20-2005, 07:56 AM
ChrisS

Check the negative cable that connects to the battery. (clamp to terminal, clamp to cable, cable to frame, cable to transmission; It sound like a bad main ground. The battery acts as a buffer between the car's electrical system and the current supplied by the alternator. Flickering lights usually means a bad connection to the battery.) Try checking the battery voltage by touching the positive terminal on the battery and any metal on the engine block or car frame.

There are other places to check ground for lights: ground connections to fuse panels in engine compartment and under dash on driver's side, main relay(?), etc.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:39 AM
ED9man
driver

I say check your ground.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:05 AM
dtrucken

OK, I'll check the battery connections. I know the cables are tight, but I'm not sure if they were brushed clean when the battery was replaced 6 months ago. (The battery replacement was an emergency to get me home.)

I'll let you know if it helps!
Old 01-21-2005, 08:37 AM
Brad
wooo nascar!

im having a similar problem. my first thought was the alternator. no?
Old 01-21-2005, 10:47 AM
Hondaisok

I'm having a similar problem w/my 91 Civic LX. I believe it to be in the starter solenoid though. My temp. gauge will spike up to max and back again, lights get dimmer when that happens. Sometimes when I try to start the car, I will hear clicking, then the starter turns over. One of my ground wires going from the valve cover to the body heats up and burns the insulation of sometimes. I have a spare starter, so I will change that first.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:34 AM
dtrucken

OK, I found and fixed the problem. The Yellow Engine light came on, and well, I broke down and went to the repair shop. The Yellow light was for a gunky intake system, but while there they tested the Alternator, and it was overcharging at 15V. Probably only a regulator problem, but with all the work to get at it, it seemed prudent to replace the alternator, (and the belt too). Lots o' money for these silly alternators...

Anyway, the problem is fixed, and the de-gunking of the intake system makes the engine run smoother too.

So, for about $600, I have a car again. Not too bad considering the cost of a new one, but still, you'd think that I'd not need _any_ repairs at only 134K :-)
Old 02-02-2005, 02:11 PM
Tankard

Good to know people that post their fixes. Lets other people know what to do if it ever happens to them. Anyway, exactly how do you de gunk an intake?