Notices

When I let out the clutch and punch it, the car revs, then slowly takes off????

Old 01-18-2005, 01:17 PM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When I let out the clutch and punch it, the car revs, then slowly takes off????

I am driving my car, and when I am stopped at a red light and rev to about 4000, and try to launch it will rev and then slowly take off. If I take my foot off the gas pedal for a sec and slam it again it will start to go better. Any suggestions?
Old 01-18-2005, 03:48 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Sounds like a slipping clutch... if it is, you'll smell it. Replace the clutch and pressure plate.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:22 PM
1fasthb

I completly agree
Old 01-18-2005, 04:37 PM
ChrisS

Check the free play in the clutch cable adjustment. As the clutch wears down the pressure plate fingers move out which means you have to turn the clutch cable nut counterclockwise to adjust the freeplay. No freeplay means your clutch is partially disengauged even when your foot is off the clutch pedal.

Also, the pressure plate's clamping pressure decreases as the clutch get thinner.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:35 PM
ED9man
driver

you clutch is junk.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:05 AM
StkyKiD84

swap er out so u dont get stuck in Netural in the middle of no where.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:35 AM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

I think my sh!t has recently started doing the same thing! GRRRR!!! I noticed it the other day, it was only like twice, it felt like it didnt wanna go right after I let off the clutch... Kinda like someone who just starts out on a standard, and when they let off the clutch it jerks fwd and hesitates cuz they didnt let off it correctly... It did that twice the other day, and then yesterday again it did it, in all 5 gears when I first started it, but after that it seemed fine...
Old 02-02-2005, 06:46 PM
claudio12472

Yeah the clutches are going and when you replace them you need to get the flywheel remachined. My 89 did the same thing for months. Started out a lilttle slip here and there and then flat out slipping. But since you need a new one might as well get a lightened flywheel and a stage 1 or better clutch for more power at the wheels. You'll never regret it.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:32 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Why does the flywheel need to be remachined? Also, I heard that lightweight flywheels arent always good when it comes to a daily driver... If they are really light that is... Something about the weight of the stock one helps keep up the momentum of the flywheel... Any body heard of this?

Plus, I plan on swaping this engine soon anyways, so I dont wanna spend too much money on this one...
Old 02-02-2005, 08:50 PM
StkyKiD84

Originally Posted by Exempt
Why does the flywheel need to be remachined? Also, I heard that lightweight flywheels arent always good when it comes to a daily driver... If they are really light that is... Something about the weight of the stock one helps keep up the momentum of the flywheel... Any body heard of this?

Plus, I plan on swaping this engine soon anyways, so I dont wanna spend too much money on this one...
u shuld get it resurfaced becuase, the clutch scores the flywheel, if you do not make a clean/smooth surface for a fresh new clutch to mate and break into, then the new clutch will get worn faster becasue of the rough surface on the flywheel.
I have heard that the lightweight flywheels under 12ish lbs are not the best for a DD. - because it is like learning to drive all over again -Because ur flywheel was built that heavy for a reason... it was built with that much mass to absorb the engine's harmonics from the botom end.... When you get lightend flywheels/pullys they can not absorb all the harmonics causing the botom end to take the beating, causing parts to ware faster. If lightend parts were ok to be on there, i think Honda would have done it... After all if they did have a lightend flywheel, it would have cost less for them to manafacure the part...Honda knows best with their cars...