Notices

lowering

Old 01-14-2005, 12:09 PM
kevo2k6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering

how do u lower a 87 crx? it has no springs in the front!!!
Old 01-14-2005, 02:43 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by kevo2k6
how do u lower a 87 crx? it has no springs in the front!!!
Remove and reinstall the torsion bars either one spline (normal drop) or two splines ("slammed") down. There is also a height adjustment knob for fine tuning (leveling.)

The rear can be lowered as normal, however an adjustable panhard bar would be ideal.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:39 PM
AllAccords88

is it the same for an 88 hf? I want to lower mine, but i dont know where to start, and i dont want to have to crap out so much money for it to be done...
Old 01-14-2005, 05:49 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by AllAccords88
is it the same for an 88 hf?
No. 88+ cars use a standard wishbone type suspension.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:34 PM
AllAccords88

so i would have to get lowering springs and everything? I dont know much about cars, but i am learning...
Old 01-14-2005, 08:08 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

so i would have to get lowering springs and everything?
Yes, you have to do what all the other 88+ guys do.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:54 PM
kevo2k6

so i would have to get lowering springs and everything? I dont know much about cars, but i am learning...
yes u must buy lowering springs. they are quite easy to install. if ur really cheap which ive done on a couple cars, u can use a grinder and cut the springs. not a very wise choice however. probly not the safest solution either, but definetly the cheapest.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:48 PM
AllAccords88

If i buy lowering springs, do they come with instructions? I feel really stupid asking that, but how would i know what to do, and would i have to buy new struts as well...I know you compress the spring or something and put it on, but i dont know much about the outside of cars, give me something electrical and its done in like 10 minutes...
Old 01-14-2005, 10:12 PM
augy

First off, look it up. This question has been answered a hundred times.
But, 'cause I'm a nice guy...
1) loosen all your lugnuts
2) loosen your axle spindle nuts. You've got 2 of 'em. Looking straight at your wheel hubs, you'll see a big, 32mm nut dead center. It will be mashed in on one side. You'll need some sort of chisel to "unmash" that side. Then, get a big f*ing breaker bar, put on the E-brake, and have somebody press the brakes inside the car to keep it from rolling, and get to work on that thing. I've broken 2 extensions on these things, they can be a bitch and a half. Once you've loosened both nuts, you can then...
3) jack up the car. You can do one side at a time if you've got 1 set of jack stands.
3) take off the wheels. If you don't know how to do this, stop reading.
4) Dissassemble the suspension:
Start with the tie rod (the rod that connects to the front crossmember from the control arm), then your sway bar.
At this point, check to see if your existing springs are under pressure. If they aren't, go ahead and unbolt your upper wishbone (it connects to your shock). If it is, then use your jack to put pressure on the bottom of the wishbone. Take out the bolt that runs through the control arm and the wishbone (it's the lowest one). You'll probably use some kind of thin, centerpunch sized tool to hammer the bolt out. Once you do, lower your jack slowly, and your spring will release its potential energy gradually. This is the only dangerous part of the job, because you don't want that spring to suddenly release.
Once the spring is released, it's really straitforward. You can use common sense from here on out to take care of the rest of the suspension. Just rinse and repeat for each corner.
5) Reassembly is the opposite of installation.
Be sure to use NEW axle spindle nuts! Torque those f*ckers down tight and be sure that you use that chisel to mash in one side of the nut into the cavity on the hub (you'll see it). Get them ahead of time. Trying to find a spindle nut at 9 pm on a sunday for an EF civic is not an experience I would ever want to repeat.

Sounds more complex than it is. Have fun, and enjoy your new suspension. Electrical stuff is far more complicated than mechanical stuff, so you shouldn't have any problems.
If you're concerned about the rest of the job, just search for it.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:50 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

do they come with instructions? I feel really stupid asking that
Since I'm less of a nice guy: Go out and buy a repair manual for your car. It's all in there in black and white.