Notices

Vehicle speed sensor

Old 01-08-2005, 10:52 AM
Jigga JJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vehicle speed sensor

Does anybody konw how to remove the vehicle speed sensor out of a 1990 honda civic manual transmission?.I dont know how to take it out.i thought it would pop right out.its hard.wow.any body know of any secrets or anything?.

thanks
Old 01-08-2005, 01:43 PM
ED9man
driver

I think it's in the guage cluster if you are talking about the one for the ECU. The actual speedometer one goes into the transmission and is mechanical.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:39 AM
Jigga JJ

yeah the actual speedometer one is the one im talking about..in the transmission.I dont know how to remove it honestly. My speedo stopped working about 2 weeks ago. I checked the speedometer cable and it was fine. The check engine light comes on a lot too... flashes code 17 for vss
Old 01-09-2005, 08:23 AM
ChrisS

Check the ground (and other electrical connections) at the gauge cluster. My 1991 CRX Si was throwing code 17 almost daily until I found and fixed a broken ground wire at the gauge cluster.

If your talking about removing the speedo cable from the tranny, there's a little metal clip under the rubber boot on the cable; try gripping it through the boot and twisting the boot 90 degrees left or right (that should allow you to remove the speedo cable from the tranny).

Important note: Don't remove the bolt/clip next to the speedo cable on the transmission, it holds the speedo pinion gear in place, removing it could cause the gear to fall into the tranny, which would mean you have to pull the tranny and take it apart to put the pinion gear back in place.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:45 PM
Jigga JJ

the bolt with the little clip is currently not in there shoot.i think its mpossible it may have jus dropped down and that may be the reason y i speedometer jus dropped to zero while i was driving. I wnet and got another vehicle speed sensor.hopefully i can get this fixed pretty soon.ima try and keep yall updated.thanks for the help