Notices

D series vtec head for 91 crx si?

Old 01-07-2005, 03:43 PM
Tankard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D series vtec head for 91 crx si?

How much would it cost and where could i get it? Also, apporx. how many more horses would it add? I think stock for the crx si motor is 108 HP. Thanks for any info.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:08 PM
vinnyzcrx

you can get the ((96-99) civic) head otherwise known as Y8 or the ((92-95) head) civic otherwise known as Z6. i heard that the y8 has higher compresion then the z6. i have the z6 head, i got it for a steal off of ebay for 120 dollers shipped. also the y8 is usually more expensive. i dont know how many horses it gives but its a significant gain and a lot of fun. theres a couple of things you have to do besides the head, like a new timing belt the z6 and y8 sit higher so you need one that has more teeth. also there is a oil jet that has to come out on the block deck.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:52 AM
Tankard

Originally Posted by vinnyzcrx
you can get the ((96-99) civic) head otherwise known as Y8 or the ((92-95) head) civic otherwise known as Z6. i heard that the y8 has higher compresion then the z6. i have the z6 head, i got it for a steal off of ebay for 120 dollers shipped. also the y8 is usually more expensive. i dont know how many horses it gives but its a significant gain and a lot of fun. theres a couple of things you have to do besides the head, like a new timing belt the z6 and y8 sit higher so you need one that has more teeth. also there is a oil jet that has to come out on the block deck.
Alright. Thanks for the info. This seems to be a fairly cheap mod for a good amount of horsepower gain. So i'm thinking this mod would cost around 300 bucks total, for the belts, water pump, head gasket, etc. That is doing it myself. Alot cheaper than the whole b16a motor. Plus my D motor is still good. Also, while on the subject, how did you go about getting the right head gasket and timing belt? I'm guessing this mod will add around 10-20 horses. Does that sound about right?
Old 01-08-2005, 11:33 AM
gingas

Yeah that's a good deal, B16 would cost having someone do the swap $3k or so. Have a question, a guy I know says that you can change the B16 head and put a B18C1 head on & get around 10-15 extra hp. If that's possible would you need to change the timing belt, ecu etc.. good looking out. Gingas