Notices

Help! Oil keeps leaking and I replaced it twice

Old 12-28-2004, 08:09 AM
ajusaf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Oil keeps leaking and I replaced it twice

I replaced the oil gasket pan twice and leakes bad within a week i need a quart of oil. Tried of this. Do I need a new oil pan? keeps licking on the endges of the pan and some of the screws have oil seeping through it small drops. I replaced it twice(gasket) and to make sure it went in good I used that silicone gasket sealer along with it. I did notice when you tighting the screws the gasket comes out more on the edges liek seeps out a little but thats normal when your making something tighter the poressure moves it a little. if i need a new oil pan were a cheap place to buy one that coems withthe gasket and screws. thanks
Old 01-04-2005, 12:15 AM
icyfingers

sounds like one of two things:

1) you're tightening the pan bolts unevenly, this can cause distortion in the seating of the gasket, also, you're not supposed to coat the whole rim of the pan with the hondabond, just the corners of the crank dip, and likewise on the opposing side.

2) the pan itself it bent somehow, in which case, a new oil pan must be obtained, it's not worth trying to bang it out, only to find you've made more leaks in it.

and this might sound silly, but you're not putting the gasket on upside-down are ya?
Old 01-04-2005, 02:28 PM
pc_in_al

Default check my logic here

In working on oil pans on other cars, I've heard that these bolts shouldn't be torqued down much - just enough to snug the bolts plus a little. Your mention of seeing more of the gasket when you tighten it makes me wonder.

Can anyone chime in on the torque of these bolts?
Old 01-04-2005, 04:15 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by pc_in_al
I've heard that these bolts shouldn't be torqued down much - just enough to snug the bolts plus a little.
Spec is 9lb-ft.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:20 PM
aero3685

Originally Posted by Kai
Spec is 9lb-ft.
yeah, bolts shouldnt be tightened down very much... the gasket should only start to push out from the edge.. shouldnt stick out. I did it 3 times on my car until i was sure i needed an oil pan. I wish i woulda just done the pan in the first place. this is where i get all my oem honda parts from.. cheap and fast shipping.

www.hondaautomotiveparts.com