Notices

The night from hell... help me fix my problem please :)

Old 12-27-2004, 09:14 AM
Bmpn
Audiophile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The night from hell... help me fix my problem please :)

I've been having this problem with my car lately and I am pretty positive I have diagnosed the issue accordingly and have a game plan to fix it... but lets hear it from some people who have a clue

First off I have the 1.5L HF engine (carb'ed engine). I dont think this matters as far as whether it is FI or Carb, but whatever.

Whenever there is precipitation the car starts to hitch and run like horrific crap, you can hear it in the muffler that it is skipping... this ALMOST ALWAYS happens when it is snowing out, oddly enough always starting in the same spot of the interstate.

Now, the car needs a tune up bad anyways, and I was going to do this before I sold it... but here we go with my diagnosis.

Problem: Bad plug wires or distributor cap.

Fix: Get new wires, plugs, dist cap and little rotor button (?) thingy...

I tried, and successfully, fixed the problem with dry gas in the past but this time it surely didnt work... so I ruled water in gas out of the equation, even though there may be a hole in the gas tank somewhere.

What'cha think? Sorry for the long post
Old 12-27-2004, 10:05 AM
Tankard

I had an 86 crx dx. Middle carberated one. Mine did the same thing. I always went to the Autoscrone and picked up some water remover stuff and filled up with 93 octane. It fixed it. Also, my car was always hard to crank with a warm engine when the fuel got below half a tank. I never was able to figure out that problem even after changing the carb, fuel pump and filters. It never hurts to change the plugs, disributor cap, rotor, and plug wires if you think they're old.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:24 AM
Bmpn
Audiophile

yeah.
your car seems to have the same attributes as mine as far as warm crank and problems..
I'll check back after changing the small stuff and going thru a few storms