Notices

I Want A Crx

Old 12-26-2004, 09:00 PM
Flip_Star

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Want A Crx

i really want to buy a crz buy i'm new to the whole car buying thing. Myfirst car was a prelude but my boyfriend picked it out so that wasn't an experience for me to learn from. now it's going to become his project car and i need to get a new one. i'm into the older cars but the only thing i show interest in that i have any hope of finding is a crx(everything else is just too old).

the thing i really need is some help in deciding what car is right for me. i don't reallt know what i'm looking at/for. and my boyfriend is in cali right now, and i don't know who else to trust when it comes o this decision. can you guys giveme any helpful hints?

what year is the best? what type? what to avoid?

take note that i just want the car to drive and for looks, i don't really care if it's fast or any thing. just so long as it runs
Old 12-27-2004, 04:27 AM
ED9man
driver

Ideally get a '90 or '91 Si. If you can't find one of those get an '88 or '89 Si. The only real difference that is worth look for the '90 or '91 is the rear disc brakes. Avoid cars that have been modified or owned by younger people. Avoid the DX or HF models.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:46 AM
daveb91
Boo Boo Kitty F*#k

I wouldnt avoid the HF models but the Dx models i would definately avoid because of the DPFI makes it hard if you ever wanted to modifie it even slightly. The Si and Hf have MPFI which make them alot better starting point. If I was keeping it stock or mildly modded Si would be the way to go. A nice CRX is getting hard to find.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:23 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Try to stick with the default size and colours, a lot of the older members use the black/grey colour scheme that makes small dark blue letters very difficult to see. Thanks.

If you don't care about speed and don't plan to swap, just get a run-of-the-mill DX. They're everywhere and can be had cheap.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:48 PM
Flip_Star

Originally Posted by ED9man
Avoid the DX or HF models.
why is that?
Old 12-27-2004, 04:08 PM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

I think the HF is the base model, which came with no options. Manual everything I think, and no bell and whistles. Which means a wimpy engine, that might have been abused since it was made with fuel economy in mind and not suficient power. I don't know about the DX. I thought they were pretty decent. But both are not as quick as the SI which was the really good CRX.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:25 PM
Tankard

I think the only differences between the HF, DX, and Si were the motors. The HF being the slowest and having the best fuel economy, the DX in the middle and the Si being the fastest with a whopping 105 Horses and it still gets around 35 mpg which is plenty good enough for me. I think the HF got close to 50. You also had to get out and start pushing going up steep hills in the HF. Also the wheels on the Si's were nicer. I'm sure there may be a couple other things that the Si has that the HF or DX does not, but not that i know of. Ed9man probably said to avoid the dx or hf simply because of what i just said.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:31 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

HF's where completely stripped down and had a pathetic little engine that made killer gas milage. Manual transaxle only.

Did CRX's come in a "Standard" model like the hatchbacks? Memory fails me.

The DX could be had with a few options, and was the most common model. It suffers from a duel point throttle body fuel injection system which inhibits power output, but makes good gas milage and isn't too slow. Manual is standard, however an automatic was availible.

The Si was an all options model. It came with a larger 1.6l engine that makes it somewhat peppy. Availible with a manual transaxle only.

That's the basic run-down.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:45 PM
ED9man
driver

I don't think so. The CRX was kind of a special model. Pretty sure theres no STD.
manual transaxle = stick shift if you aren't technically inclined just in case.

I recommended against the HF and DX because simply because the Si is better and really not much more expensive if any. It's just a matter of finding one. You'd probably like the sunroof and somewhat less gutless motor too. It looks better as well.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:24 AM
augy

Originally Posted by bluetwo
I think the HF is the base model, which came with no options. Manual everything I think, and no bell and whistles. Which means a wimpy engine, that might have been abused since it was made with fuel economy in mind and not suficient power. I don't know about the DX. I thought they were pretty decent. But both are not as quick as the SI which was the really good CRX.
If there were a "base model," it would have been the DX. The DX CRXs don't have a badge--if you went with HF or Si, you got a badge to go with it.

Originally Posted by Kai
HF's where completely stripped down and had a pathetic little engine that made killer gas milage. Manual transaxle only.

Did CRX's come in a "Standard" model like the hatchbacks? Memory fails me.

The DX could be had with a few options, and was the most common model. It suffers from a duel point throttle body fuel injection system which inhibits power output, but makes good gas milage and isn't too slow. Manual is standard, however an automatic was availible.

The Si was an all options model. It came with a larger 1.6l engine that makes it somewhat peppy. Availible with a manual transaxle only.

That's the basic run-down.
An automatic DX exists? I did not know that.
As for a "standard" model, as I said, probably the DX if anything.