Notices

how much does a tune-up help?

Old 12-21-2004, 09:09 AM
redcivicforever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much does a tune-up help?

tune-up is regular maintenance, I know.
but I have a old, tired engine with 168,000 miles on it. I'm trying to put off replacing the engine for another 6 months to a year for financial reasons. In the meantime to help it last longer & run ok, i'm trying to do some maintenance things I know it needs-the valves need adjustment badly-so I was gonna get a basic tune-up that includes valve adjust, dist cap/rotor, spark plugs, air filter & oil change that will cost slightly less than $150...
Does anyone think its really unnecessary considering the unavoidable engine replacemnt? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:22 AM
91_CiViC_RiDeR
Passing_U_N_A_CIVIC

this is my opinion and my opinion only so don't get all pissy on me but to me it kind of seems pointless to try to do a tune up to an engine that has just about had it...Your engine will last you another 6 months or so till you are able to get a new engine...Now lets be reasonable here, all the money your spending on your "BLOWN" engine you could of been close to half way there on getting a new one or rebuilt engine....If my engine was about to go to the "GRAVE" then I would not put anymore money into it, instead I would go ahead and save up and get a whole new engine or rebuilt engine which would more than likely be alot less money than trying to keep it running till you have the money for a new one or rebuilt one....

I am sorry if I sounded a little rude but take it how you like it...This is just my opinion!

Old 12-21-2004, 10:50 AM
redcivicforever

Originally Posted by 91_CiViC_RiDeR
this is my opinion and my opinion only so don't get all pissy on me but to me it kind of seems pointless to try to do a tune up to an engine that has just about had it...Your engine will last you another 6 months or so till you are able to get a new engine...Now lets be reasonable here, all the money your spending on your "BLOWN" engine you could of been close to half way there on getting a new one or rebuilt engine....If my engine was about to go to the "GRAVE" then I would not put anymore money into it, instead I would go ahead and save up and get a whole new engine or rebuilt engine which would more than likely be alot less money than trying to keep it running till you have the money for a new one or rebuilt one....

I am sorry if I sounded a little rude but take it how you like it...This is just my opinion!

hey, I asked For help, if I wanted to argue or fight people's opinion I wouldn't ask, so I expect to get your opinion and thats what you gave, so thank you ...now for a few ignorant-girl-who-loves-cars-but-don't-know-much-about-em' ?s
Is there a chance that my engine will hold out for another 6 months to a year without doing anything to it? OR a chance that by doing these things (tuneups) it could last much longer than expected?
Also the replacement engine will cost me serious money since I can't do it myself & don't know anyone who can give me a great deal, I'm looking at around $2,000 to get a good engine, installation and all that I should do at the same time (clutch, timing belt, etc) to avoid extra hell later. So $150 isn't close to what i'm looking at paying to get the job done so that was my reasoning-which I'm not sure is right at all but thats why i'm askin...thanks again.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:26 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

i bought an old d16a6 with tranny - engine had a blown headgasket - for $50...i then spent ~ $700 on new clutch kit, timing & alt belts, water & oil pumps, new piston rings and bearings, new studs and bolts, block and headgasket rebuild kits, used but working distributor and ecu, a DIY port & polish and had it back on the road in good running order...this is all b/c i could do all the work myself (i've actually done this for some close friends)

you could find someone in your area who does swaps and "trust" them to rebuild your engine or swap in a used but working engine (install new belts, clutch, etc.)...it should be much cheaper than $2k...if you find someone who can do this then reference check, reference check and reference check before you have them touch your car
Old 12-21-2004, 12:12 PM
starwarskid

A DIY tuneup would be worth doing in my opinion, it will make the car feel alot better for very little money:

• Spark Plugs
• spark wires
• Oil & filter
• New Tranny fliud
• adjust throttle and clutch cable
• Replace the PCV valve (like $4)
• spray carb-cleaner in the eacv and vacuum hoses
• Use 1 bottle of sea-foam for the intake, crank case (before changing the oil and filter) and the gas tank. (go by the instructions on the can for this)
• Replace the battery wires and grounding wires (You can use the $3 6-gauge and 4-gauge battery battery cables from wal-mart to do this, no need for JDM speaker-wire stuff).
• use a disposable wire brush to clean up the oxidation on the bolts that hold down the grounds to the chassis, and the battery terminals
• after doing the above stuff, you can accurately adjust the timing and the idle
• If you can, adjust the valve-springs

These are things that shouldnt cost too much to do at home and (combined) will have a dramatic effect on the quality of the ride if you havent just tried all of it.

Once you have some of these superficial things out of the way you can be more specific about what needs to be done, and the ride will be more tolerable while you save up.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:27 PM
redcivicforever

Originally Posted by jaje
i bought an old d16a6 with tranny - engine had a blown headgasket - for $50...i then spent ~ $700 on new clutch kit, timing & alt belts, water & oil pumps, new piston rings and bearings, new studs and bolts, block and headgasket rebuild kits, used but working distributor and ecu, a DIY port & polish and had it back on the road in good running order...this is all b/c i could do all the work myself (i've actually done this for some close friends)

you could find someone in your area who does swaps and "trust" them to rebuild your engine or swap in a used but working engine (install new belts, clutch, etc.)...it should be much cheaper than $2k...if you find someone who can do this then reference check, reference check and reference check before you have them touch your car
Well I've been comtemplating this whole ordeal for a few months. I've heard about how cheap it is to get a swap or rebuild from people on here how it will be $800 or even less...but I've called about 30 shops near & far (including ones recommended by people on here) and I've come to the conclusion, after much frustration, the cheapest I can get a replacement engine & install (since I don't have connections) is $1,500-realistically. And I can buy a new Honda for what they want for a nice rebuild, I've been quoted low end $3,500-thats just for the rebuild-not including install or anything else. Its all in who ya know or who ya blow if ya can't do it yourself or have a buddy do it for beer & parts ya know?
Old 12-21-2004, 12:54 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

to make you feel better (sympathize) here is what i have to deal with while i rebuild an 84 Porsche 944

- clutch kit $500! (labor at the dealer was $1100k!!)
- 1 rear axle $125
- front and rear engine seals
- oil cooler seals (done last week)
- potential headgasket leak (will rebuild engine but i'm going to buy a used unit and rebuild it over the winter)
- fuel tank corroded ($100 at junk yard if i get lucky)
- drivers side rear wheel bearing
- sunroof, rear hatch, battery box leaks and fills up passenger side

dealer quoted me $5k for the above (parts & labor) without doing the headgasket or fuel tank...non dealer shops are almost as expensive

though you need a rebuilt engine your honda is quite an affordable reliable car with minimal maintenance...for instance - recommended timing belt change for a 944 is every 30k miles and it is a pain in the ass and requires a $600 tool just to measure corrent tension in the belt!

since you do not know how to work on your car you have to pay and rely on someone else to do it...i've been there and done that (in fact we all have)...$1500 is not a lot for what they are asking if they warranty their work and have a reputation for good work...it will get you up and running and hopefully without any major problems for a long time
Old 12-21-2004, 12:55 PM
fgfournet
R ENVY

I fortunately have people who can help me with this type of ordeal, but I think you could probably find a motor in a junk yard. People don't generally want those motors that much. I have a 92 VX Civic and I'm swaping motors with a 93 Si probably for under 500 bucks, including a new tail light, newer interior, and a better motor. I think a junk yard that deals with salvage vehicles would be a good place to find a used motor with less milage than you currently have; and maybe a few other extras. Then its just a matter of finding some one with some mechanical skills.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:21 PM
redcivicforever

Originally Posted by starwarskid
A DIY tuneup would be worth doing in my opinion, it will make the car feel alot better for very little money:

• Spark Plugs
• spark wires
• Oil & filter
• New Tranny fliud
• adjust throttle and clutch cable
• Replace the PCV valve (like $4)
• spray carb-cleaner in the eacv and vacuum hoses
• Use 1 bottle of sea-foam for the intake, crank case (before changing the oil and filter) and the gas tank. (go by the instructions on the can for this)
• Replace the battery wires and grounding wires (You can use the $3 6-gauge and 4-gauge battery battery cables from wal-mart to do this, no need for JDM speaker-wire stuff).
• use a disposable wire brush to clean up the oxidation on the bolts that hold down the grounds to the chassis, and the battery terminals
• after doing the above stuff, you can accurately adjust the timing and the idle
• If you can, adjust the valve-springs

These are things that shouldnt cost too much to do at home and (combined) will have a dramatic effect on the quality of the ride if you havent just tried all of it.

Once you have some of these superficial things out of the way you can be more specific about what needs to be done, and the ride will be more tolerable while you save up.
I wish there was a way (without sounding like a smart-ass) for me to explain how funny it is when people say "oh just diy...all you do is adjust the throttle body and timing accurately, etc, etc."
I mean its hilarious only becuz-when I say I can't do it myself, I mean I can't even jump start the car without it leading to my or some other poor saps demise. I mean just set me up with a set of jumper cables and a car and play the looney tunes theme and you got a dangerous-but funny-situation. its just that i've never learned to work on cars or how they work really. I bought a manual which is for me like reading a japanese, by-way-of-latin, book thats encoded in ancient egyptian...I mean if somone sat with me and said this goes here and that goes there, then I could do it but until then I won't be changing the oil let alone tuning it up! thanks though for trying and also for telling me your opinion on the tune-up on old engine!
Old 12-21-2004, 01:29 PM
redcivicforever

Originally Posted by jaje
to make you feel better (sympathize) here is what i have to deal with while i rebuild an 84 Porsche 944

- clutch kit $500! (labor at the dealer was $1100k!!)
- 1 rear axle $125
- front and rear engine seals
- oil cooler seals (done last week)
- potential headgasket leak (will rebuild engine but i'm going to buy a used unit and rebuild it over the winter)
- fuel tank corroded ($100 at junk yard if i get lucky)
- drivers side rear wheel bearing
- sunroof, rear hatch, battery box leaks and fills up passenger side

dealer quoted me $5k for the above (parts & labor) without doing the headgasket or fuel tank...non dealer shops are almost as expensive

though you need a rebuilt engine your honda is quite an affordable reliable car with minimal maintenance...for instance - recommended timing belt change for a 944 is every 30k miles and it is a pain in the ass and requires a $600 tool just to measure corrent tension in the belt!

since you do not know how to work on your car you have to pay and rely on someone else to do it...i've been there and done that (in fact we all have)...$1500 is not a lot for what they are asking if they warranty their work and have a reputation for good work...it will get you up and running and hopefully without any major problems for a long time
Thanks for the encouragement that does make me feel better!