Phast Kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tachometer and Gas guage doesn't work

anyone no how to fix this?
Old 12-16-2004, 09:45 PM
ChrisS

You'll need your car's wiring diagram.

First, look at the electrical connector to the gauge cluster. Maybe, there's a loose or dirty connection for the pins that connect the gas gauge and tach to the sending units. If it's not that, trace the wires back to the sending unit. Also, check the ground at the sending unit.

I have a similar problem when I use the turn signal (left or right), the tach jumps down 500RPMs per click and the temp gauge jump up 20% per click of the turn signal. (In my case, it might be a faulty ground or worn insulation causing the turn signal relay to pull current from where it should not.)

Take Care,
Chris
Old 12-18-2004, 09:46 AM
slammed91-hatch

as far as wiring they are two very seperate pieces. so i would say that it is most likely your gauges.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:06 PM
ChrisS

I pulled the gauge cluster top cover and checked all the wire connectors. The ground wire to the gauge cluster (top-right wire connector as you look at the face of the cluster, right most wire, black with two silver dots) was broken off. I carefully pulled the contact out of the connector, soldered a short length of wire to it, reinstalled it in the wire connector, slipped a piece of shrink tubing over the wire, stripped the insulation off the short ground wire on the harness, twisted the wire patch on, and soldered that connection, then sealed it with the shrink tubing.

I think, that will fix my intermittant temp gauge and tach problem. Hopefully, it will also fix the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS, ECU code 17) problem my car also has intermittantly (usually occurs when down shifting after travelling at freeways speeds for 15minutes or more).

Take Care,
ChrisS
Old 12-27-2004, 01:08 PM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

Good stuff ChrisS.

Welcome to HAN. Peace.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:55 PM
ChrisS

I finished my engine maintaince (head gasket, timing belt, valve stem seals, cleaning carbon off piston tops/inside of head/exhaust valve). Now I get to cross my fingers and hope the car passes California's dyno smog test. (it bombed the NOx last time; the only other thing to replace is the catalytic coverter).

The ground fix to the cluster fixed my gauge problems and the VSS check engine light.

Take Care,
ChrisS