Notices

Clutch cable adjustment?

Old 12-10-2004, 06:31 PM
ChrisS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch cable adjustment?

Hi,

I have a stock 1991 CRX Si. I replaced the clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, and throwout bearing with an Exedy Stage 1 clutch kit and adjusted the clutch cable according to the spec (1/8 to 3/16" of freeplay at release arm).
I also installed a new honda clutch cable.

My problem is:
-the clutch is only disingauged when the clutch pedal on the floor
and
-it's fully engauged when the clutch pedal is about 1" off the floor

This makes for tricky starts from a dead stop.

Any advice?

Thanks,
ChrisS
Old 12-10-2004, 07:30 PM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

Adjust it to where you like it. Or wait for it to get broken in. It will loosen up over time, and if you don't want to wait, turn it (the cable tightening screw near the slave cylinder) a few notches, (quarter turns) and then mash it. If it's worse turn it the other way, if it's too much then adjust accordingly.
I've done this myself, but it's better with two people cause you can figure out exactly what's changing as you go.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:53 AM
Tankard

I've always just pulled up on the cable and tightened the screw thing just about snug. If your still having problems, then you did'nt install the throw out bearing or something right.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:04 PM
ChrisS

I ended up pulling the tranny back out and re-torquing all the bolts, including the throwout bearing fork, flywheel, and pressure plate bolts. (due to a stupid units mistake: the original torque wrench I used was inch-pounds instead of foot-pounds.)

The new clutch has about 160 miles on it and is loosing up (fully engauged at 4" off the floor, fully disengauged at 1" off the floor). It grabs and holds tight, very snappy performance.