Notices

racing q

Old 12-06-2004, 08:02 PM
menappi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default racing q

haha i know this sounds hella gay, but if im the freeway and cruisin at around 70, rpms are at about..3k, a little above, and someone wants to race, what gear should i drop it into to smash. i have a b18a in my 91 hatch. and i know its ok to drop it to 4, but what about 3. i just didnt want to try and have something break on me, cause i have a friend who put it in second and blew a giant hole in his motor.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:55 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

First, this is against the TOS.

Second, if you happened to find yourself on an officially sanctioned race track going 70 miles per hour, third gear should be fine. The only way to tell would be to run third gear to redline on this officially sanctioned race track and find out the speed indicated at redline. You can downshift into third to within about 5-10mph of the third gear max speed.

Example: My third gear redlines at 90mph. In fifth gear at 80mph, I can downshift into third if needed. I use it for passing accelleration though, not for racing. For reference, I have a 1.366 third and a 4.10 final.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:09 PM
RicerVtr

y is this site so strict on street racing? Or just messing around on the streets? can someone get sued or something? It just seems like this is the only site ive ever come accross that seems to be so against it.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:03 PM
augy

If nothing else, it's the principle of it. Street racing is stupid, dangerous, and gives the hobby a bad name.

As for the question, Kai covered it. But I will add that since you (menappi) don't have experience with it, be very careful with downshifting and high speed shifting in general. I don't know if you have a chipped ECU or not, but if you get going too fast and shift into third or don't know how to match your RPMs up properly, you can bend rods in no time. My buddy had a stock ECU in his ek civic and mis-shifted into third when he wanted fifth, and bent 2 rods by the time the ECU cut him off. So even a rev limiter won't save you if you're doing hard shifting. Go to the track, get to know your machine, and keep it on the track.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:16 PM
91_CiViC_RiDeR
Passing_U_N_A_CIVIC

DAMN RIGHT... I kow on my profile it says Illegal street Racing but its in a closed environment and COPS are around to make sure we dont get out of hand and this is like every other weekend in a HUGE parking lot with a 1/4 to 1/2 mile strip where all 75 to 150 of us race one on one.........POINT blank do it legal or don't do it at all.....
Old 12-07-2004, 12:44 AM
menappi

haha thanks for the words.

so r u guys trying to tell me that when your cruisin on teh freeway or you hit a light, and its open lane for a grip, and some dood next to you wants to make a run..you tell him that its 'illegal' or you just wave him on? HAHAHA PUHLEEEZ!
Old 12-07-2004, 12:24 PM
RicerVtr

hahahaha, exactly! Yeah, now there are some circomstances where it is just stupid, or doing it to an outrageous speed, or on a busy road or something, but if there is an open space, on a road that isn't messed up and perfectly safe, i don't see anything wrong with it. Just when other people could potentally be involved, like on a busy street, or on a crowded highway or something like that then its stupid. What does it matter when the only person that could potentially be hurt is yourself(unlikely, but if). Plus on top of that, its not like your racing 700+hp cars or anything like that, there racing freakin hondas, which if the road is open and streight, any freakin person could handle them(some exceptions, honda every once in a while are fast), my grandma could handle them. It just seems so stupid to wait that long time to go spend 30 bux at the track to see how slow your car is. I can see both sides to this argument, and can agree certain with parts of each, but come on, i have never meet a someone in person that actually disagrees with street racing as much as it seems the leaders(well, the dudes with a bazillion posts) of this site do.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:54 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by menappi
and some dood next to you wants to make a run..you tell him that its 'illegal' or you just wave him on? HAHAHA PUHLEEEZ!
I don't have that problem, little racerboys in their Civics are too afraid of my RX-7 to even try. I haven't been reved at since I had my Integra about four years ago. If someone is jumping ahead of me on the highway like they're expecting me to run (usually Mustangs, BMW's, and Porsches, oddly enough) I just let it go.

You have to be pretty immature to think you have to race everyone who revs at you, passes you on the highway, or sits next to you at a stoplight.