Notices

CRX Lowering problem

Old 11-11-2004, 06:05 PM
Chook2121

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRX Lowering problem

hi,
I have a problem with lowering my 89 CRX Si. I lowered my car with tokico shocks and arospeed springs. I had no problem there except my alignment was off. The next thing I did was get a camber kit so I could get the alignment done. Once the camber kit was on and the alignment done the upper control arms are now hitting the inner fender on bumpy surfaces. The guy that put them on told me I might need lowering spindles to lower the control arm so it wouldn't hit anymore.

Does anyone know how to go about fixing this problem or where to start looking for lowering spindles for the CRX? Do they even make lowering spindles for CRX's? I need help. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-11-2004, 09:04 PM
augy

How bumpy a surface are we talking here? you aren't going rock-climbing in your crx, are you?
Is the front or rear fender getting smacked by the control arm? I don't have any experience with those springs; are they performance or lowering springs?
Old 11-12-2004, 03:06 AM
Tankard

Sorry, i'm not much help, but when i got my 91CRX si, it had lowering springs on it. It did not have a camber kit. The inside of my front tires wore to the threads in about 10 to 15k miles. I don't remember anything hitting on it. I do remember it was a back jarring ride that i did'nt like. I just purchased some new stock springs, and whamo, all problems solved.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:03 AM
Chook2121

The surface isn't that bumpy at all. as soon as it goes over a few bumps it touches.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:42 AM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

How low did you go? I have my '89 lowered about an inch and recently installed an SPC adjustable-balljoint camber kit. Mine hit also, but only when I'm going above 20mph and hit something really nasty. I'm not sure if how far you've slammed the car is the sole reason for this, but I'm willing to bet it's a contributing factor. Might just be the price we have to pay for lowering our cars.

h: and as far as lowering spindles are concerned I've never seen any. There's some logic to consider here, though. If you installed lowering spindles that lowered the control arm, your going to increase the ride height again. And if you have adjustable coilovers you'd have to adjust it even more resulting in an even stiffer ride on the front. Not to mention you might have your suspension operating at angles that could prove undesireable.

I could be wrong about this so I'm interested to see what others know and have found.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:54 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Well, using better quality springs would probably help.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:07 AM
Chook2121

I thought it could of been from the srings too but I heard a from a lot of people that bought these springs and had no problems.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:20 AM
Joao

Ok I had first hand experience with lowering and cameber kits. First off the frot camber kit on a crx can only be adjusted 1 degree of camber without hitting the control arm. pretty much usless. I tried everything to get it to work. I tried cutting out the pinch weld on the fender...i tried adjusting the control arm...man i tried everything. I ended up pushing the camber all the way negative and calling it a day.
As was posted earlier...its just the price we have to pay.

The rear camber kits work perfect though
Old 11-14-2004, 09:03 AM
Keebler
You Dream It, We Live It.

arospeed sux for the CRX man.... u got ripped
Old 11-14-2004, 08:28 PM
Chook2121

Originally Posted by Joao
Ok I had first hand experience with lowering and cameber kits. First off the frot camber kit on a crx can only be adjusted 1 degree of camber without hitting the control arm. pretty much usless. I tried everything to get it to work. I tried cutting out the pinch weld on the fender...i tried adjusting the control arm...man i tried everything. I ended up pushing the camber all the way negative and calling it a day.
As was posted earlier...its just the price we have to pay.

The rear camber kits work perfect though
Thanks. I was going to try and cut that pinch weldoff tomorrow. If that desn't work Maybe I'll have to do what u did. Does cutting that pinch weld hurt the car in anyway?