Notices

can't get the oil pan out, help.

Old 11-10-2004, 09:48 PM
ajusaf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can't get the oil pan out, help.

i removed everything but it won't come off. i need to reseal it. any tricks? i tried it with screwdriver and nothing works
Old 11-11-2004, 10:36 AM
RicerVtr

did you remove the little nuts near the tranny, squished in there between it and the oil pan? Those ones are hard to see sometimes and can be easily overlooked(the ones holding the tin dust gaurd in place). otherwise it should pop off nice and easy
Old 11-11-2004, 11:23 AM
ajusaf

you mean the bolt that are holding the oil pan that goes on the fram of the pan? yes i went around the whole oil pan and took the nuts and screws that went around the frame of the pan. is there something else that is not connected to the fram that might be keeping it there? I haven't seen anything on the way of the pan to keep it stuck in there
Old 11-11-2004, 12:12 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

sounds like you need a good 1/2 or larger width pry bar to gently separate the pan from the block...most mechanics use gasket sealer on the oil pan gasket around the crank area to make sure it gets a good bond that doesn't leak...also over time and with the heat the gasket will adhere to the metal creating the need to pry them apart

as with ricervtr mentioned it is the clutch inspection shield that has to be removed to take the oil pan out and even get at the 4 bolts hidden in there
Old 11-11-2004, 12:14 PM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

It's a little difficult to get to the bolts located by the tranny. You have to take off a few other parts to get to them. The 4 bolts where the flywheel cover are tricky because of this. Don't forget, you have to take the front part of the exhaust system off to have room to lower the pan from the block. I hope your following a manual(Haynes, etc.). If not, go get one NOW and READ IT h:
Old 11-11-2004, 07:07 PM
ajusaf

no manual i did take the exhuast off to lower the pan. i did this since i was already down there do to a bad alternator. i will look at the car in the morning to see to make sure i removed it. i think i need a pry bar
Old 11-12-2004, 03:59 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Originally Posted by ajusaf
no manual i did take the exhuast off to lower the pan. i did this since i was already down there do to a bad alternator. i will look at the car in the morning to see to make sure i removed it. i think i need a pry bar
let me reiterate "gently" use the pry bar by turning it like you would a screwdriver and it'll break if free
Old 11-12-2004, 07:11 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Bigger hammer!

But really, in cases like this it may be easier to use a screwdriver to separate it if you can't find a place to wedge the prybar.

Regardless of what you use, be really careful not to dent or scratch the gasket surface.