Notices

problems?

Old 10-30-2004, 10:59 PM
UltimX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems?

Case 1.

When the cars not on, I can shift freely without problems. I can also push the clutch in and same situation. When I start the car cold, I can shift untill about after it warms up. Once its warm, I set it in nutural, and try to go into any gear and it is harder than hell! I can't even force it in. Whats the problem? The tranny has fluid in it. I warmed it up, turned it off, and put some fluid into it until it poored out. Still happens. Any help?

Case 2.

My timing is off. When I put my timing belt on, i set the crank to TDC. set the cam gear to the correct position (up facing up and the side marks matching with the head), put the belt on, put the tensioner on, and bolted it down. When I set up the timing gun, I checked timing (#1 spark plug)and moved it all the way advanced and its on the 18 (farthest away, White) mark. I set the idle screw all the way in also and it idles at 1k. Before, the car ran fine, idled at 750ish and I had leway to move the timing past 18 lower it. Now I can't get passed 18 degrees. What is my problem? I'm going to check again tomarrow moring and see if the crank and cam gear are set at tdc.

Any solutions? These problems never happened before.

Thanks,

Ulti~
Old 10-30-2004, 11:14 PM
augy

Case 1:
What "car" is it? Does your clutch work once the car is warmed up? Can you go directly from gear to gear without the same issues?

Case 2:
I don't fully understand what your problem is. Is your belt on correctly? Are you saying that you think the 2 problems are related? So your timing screw wasn't all the way in and you idled at 750 and you could move to dizzy timing past 18 degrees, then you move the timing screw all the way in and you can't any more? What else did you change when you decided to make your car idle at 1k RPM?
Old 10-30-2004, 11:39 PM
UltimX

Case 1.
its for a crx. clutch works... well i think it does. I can push it in. once the car is warm, i can't switch gears.

Case 2.
Belts on correctly. I don't know if they are related. Idle screw... not timing screw. It is all the way in (now). Before it wasn't all the way in and I could screw and un screw it and the idle would adjust. I'm pretty sure i could move the timing past 18 degrees. I didn't decide to change the idle. I want the idle to be at 750 but its at 1k. I'm trying to lower the idle from 1k to 750.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:53 AM
augy

So you can push the clutch in and the clutch will no longer be engaged? Have you tried every gear?

Oh right, idling, duh. I meant to type that. I haven't used the idling valve/screw on my engine yet (haven't had to), so I don't know whether loosening or tightening that screw raises or lowers the idle. However, 1000 RPM is an extremely high idle, so I am going to guess that if the screw is all the way in, you should let it out and I would expect that idle to go down. Careful, though; I hear that the valves are very sensitive to small changes. Also, be sure to adjust it while the car is running.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:17 AM
UltimX

When the car is on and cold, i push the clutch in, i can engage the clutch into first/any gear, after it starts to warm up, I try to engage it into second or something and it won' engage. so i'm stuck in nutural.

I adjusted the screw. In lows the idle, out raises it. Thus the reason why its all the way in. I tried adjusting it at first when the car was on and it just raised it each time I let the screw out.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:33 AM
91_CiViC_RiDeR
Passing_U_N_A_CIVIC

Go get a manual.....I have one and i know what you are talking about but my manual is in the car and I don't wanna go down and get it cause I am too lazy lol!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-31-2004, 11:41 PM
augy

Wow that's a real doozie. Maybe the trottle cable is too tight? If not, try replacing your throttle body; the sensor may be bad.
As for your tranny problem, I'm stumped on that one. I have yet to pull a honda tranny apart (tho I will do so soon), so I can't say for sure what's wrong. Here's another question: Before the car has warmed up, can you drive at higher speeds and still shift just fine? See how fast you can go and still shift before it's all warmed up (safely, of course). Let us know.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:02 AM
daveb91
Boo Boo Kitty F*#k

When you were timing the car did you put a jumper in any connector? On the 90-91 there is a plug under the passenger side dash you have to jumper I think the wires are brown in the 88-89 its under the hood by the firewall. Get a manual it should tell you to do this because if you dont I think it advances the timing and the jumper prevents this when putting it in time.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:18 PM
UltimX

Timing is set dead on. Yes, I used a jumper, paper clip, and my car still idles high, at around 1500 cold, 1250 warm. Still not in specs of the manual. I have a manual, but this isn't helping cause i'm not throwing codes or anything.

I figured out case 1, so thats set.

Anyone wanna help me on my idle issue? Or suggest anything?
Old 11-04-2004, 11:16 PM
augy

Replace the throttle angle sensor; you probably need to get a new throttle body.