Notices

Car is running like crap

Old 10-29-2004, 02:00 PM
incublinkus
JDM Fan Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car is running like crap

alright guys, i need help pretty badly. i completed my b16a swap last spring and i've had absolutely no problems until now. the other the day my car started running like crap. when i hit the gas off of idle it studders really badly sometimes. Sometimes it even begins to stall out. I'm not sure if its the spark plug or the wires, or the distributor cap. I was talking to a friend and he said if it was the spark the engine would just continually run rough. he thinks the coughing notchiness of the throttle might be caused by a bad fuel injector.

When the engine is in higher RPM, like above 3500, its fine, and runs completely normal. only near idle do i have this problem. i have to work about it almost coughing and dying out like everytime i hit the gas.

also, my motor mounts are worn out and i think the vibration caused by the way the engine is running is causing the motor to hit my hood. what are some good replacement engine mounts i could buy, maybe with polyurethane bushings?

once again, this is a JDM B16A in a 1998 Civic Ex Coupe, thanks for the help guys. I need some direction here on were to start, i've never diagnosed problems before.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:04 PM
alphaxxn
4500rpm hesitation

Originally Posted by incublinkus
alright guys, i need help pretty badly. i completed my b16a swap last spring and i've had absolutely no problems until now. the other the day my car started running like crap. when i hit the gas off of idle it studders really badly sometimes. Sometimes it even begins to stall out. I'm not sure if its the spark plug or the wires, or the distributor cap. I was talking to a friend and he said if it was the spark the engine would just continually run rough. he thinks the coughing notchiness of the throttle might be caused by a bad fuel injector.

When the engine is in higher RPM, like above 3500, its fine, and runs completely normal. only near idle do i have this problem. i have to work about it almost coughing and dying out like everytime i hit the gas.

also, my motor mounts are worn out and i think the vibration caused by the way the engine is running is causing the motor to hit my hood. what are some good replacement engine mounts i could buy, maybe with polyurethane bushings?

once again, this is a JDM B16A in a 1998 Civic Ex Coupe, thanks for the help guys. I need some direction here on were to start, i've never diagnosed problems before.

Hasport makes some really nice mounts.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:10 PM
incublinkus
JDM Fan Boy

bump
Old 10-29-2004, 08:16 PM
augy

A 98 civic... You're in the wrong forum bro

If you hadn't mentioned that the car ran fine before, I would have thought that it might be a timing or cam issue. Does your car lope at idle? Not as much power at lower RPM?

I'm going to take a stab at something. I don't own a vtec engine, but I gather that the vtec is switched on by the computer. Is it possible that vtec could be continuously on? If so, that would explain it. Since the vtec is activated at a certain RPM, does the ECU use the same sensor as your cluster tach?
And, if anybody can tell me why my vtec suggestions are totally stupid, please learn me. i like to get learned.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:19 PM
ED9man
driver

The fail-safe is no VTEC, so I doubt it.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:52 PM
augy

Originally Posted by ED9man
The fail-safe is no VTEC, so I doubt it.
K. But does the ecu use same sensor as the cluster tach?
Old 11-02-2004, 07:29 PM
b16hatch90

dude it may be the banjo bolt cuz im kinda havin that problem with my b16a1 and that is what im gonna try i havnt changed it yet but ill tell ya how it does when i do
Old 11-03-2004, 10:50 AM
ED9man
driver

i had a problem like that.
Check your vaccum, what codes are you getting on the ECU? That is the best place to start.