Notices

02 Sensor

Old 10-25-2004, 11:23 AM
Magik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Sensor

Can anyone recommend a good online (reputable) dealer to get an o2 sensor for my car from? I've called around here and they range anywhere from $41.99 CDN (Universal where you have to splice the wires) to $251.75 at Honda...average is $103.53 CDN (before taxes).

Jason
Old 10-25-2004, 12:57 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

$42 CDN is a great deal for a universal. The lowest I've seen them was $40 US.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:36 AM
mullinator

The dealer I've always used, and can recommend highly, is Manchester Honda. http://www.manhonda.com/ If you call them, be sure to ask for the "catalog department", not parts. You will pay full price at the parts counter.

That being said, they wanted $178USD for the sensor for my '86 Si. I got a universal at a generic parts store for $20USD.

Dunno if any of this helps since you're in Canada. -scott
Old 10-26-2004, 07:50 AM
v8guy
Professor

Universal sensors are worthless junk. Good for everything = good for nothing. Get an OEM replacement, preferably OEM if possible. I got Bosch O2s for my 'Stang (dual exhausts, one for each cylinder bank) They were $60 each and much cheaper than the Motorcraft ones from Ford. Now here's the kicker. Bosch MAKES the motorcraft O2 sensors for FORD. You pay extra for the Motorcraft name on the box.

I tried using a universal O2 once, on a Buick 3.8 V6. The car ran like SHIT, worse than with the bad O2. I put in a direct fit Bosch and the problem went away. The car wasn't even fuel injected, it had a feedback carburetor. E2SE Rochester Dualjet if I remember right. Even the C4 engine control system spit out that worthless "universal" O2. They are absolute garbage.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:27 AM
mullinator

I'm going to cast my vote again for the cheapies. There are other factors which can cause a sensor to "fail". The tip of the sensor is unforgiving of getting antiseize compound on it during installation, for instance. Don't let v8guy convince you to spend more than you have to on your O2 sensor. Realize, too, the difference between a universal and an "OEM" is the sensor doesn't have an $80 plastic connector on the end that clicks onto the factory wiring harness. You have to splice it in using the supplied butt connector/s. That's it.

This might hurt my argument but I'll add it anyway. Just because the same company makes products for multiple "brands" doesn't mean the products are all produced with the same specs. It's not efficient for every company to tool up to produce their own pistons, for example. It's smarter to draft your engineering spec and farm the manufacturing out to Wiseco. I know springs and oil filters work this way, too. -scott
Old 10-26-2004, 09:37 AM
Hondaisok

Default 02 Sensor

I put a universal 02 sensor in my 91 Civic LX about 5000 miles ago and I've had no problems. Cost about $20.00. I bought a couple male and female wire connectors for under a dollar and put dieletric (sp) grease on the connections and shrink wrapped them.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:28 PM
v8guy
Professor

Most O2 sensors come with the anti-seize already applied. You take the plastic cap off, screw it in, and you are done. As mentioned, getting anti-seize on the reactive element will instantly foul it. Be my guest and go ahead and use the garbage universal sensor. I'm sure your car will run. The Buick I used one in ran as well, it just didn't run right. It didn't have the power it was supposed to, you would take off and it would be like uhhh. I talked to a mechanic about it and he told me it was the BS "universal" 02 sensor and that putting the real one in would solve all my problems. Well, he was right. Over the years, I've talked to a lot of other mechanics and they all say the same thing. Universal O2s are garbage. Would you just screw any spark plug in your motor that fit? I don't think so. You guys amaze me. You will spend a ton of cash on CAIs, bling bling rims, racing pedals, short shifters and you name it but when it comes to basic maintance items, oh no I can't spend money on that. Yeah, your car might run OK with one, but it could be costing you a couple horses, perhaps as much or more as your bling bling CAI supposedly got you. Go to a Mustang forum and post about putting "universal" 02s in your 5.0. You will get flamed off the screen.

Do what you want, but I'll let you know right now, no mechanic worth his salt would even think about installing a universal 02 in a customer's car unless for some odd reason the proper 02 were not available and it was a last resort.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:45 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by v8guy
Do what you want, but I'll let you know right now, no mechanic worth his salt would even think about installing a universal 02 in a customer's car unless for some odd reason the proper 02 were not available and it was a last resort.
That's because the mechanics can use any parts they want and don't have to pay for them. If it was up to me, there would be a brand new factory O2 in every car.

You are the only person I've heard of that's had such a hard time with a universal O2 sensor. Hell, most of the universals I see are the same Bosch brand you seem to like.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:58 PM
v8guy
Professor

Originally Posted by Kai
That's because the mechanics can use any parts they want and don't have to pay for them. If it was up to me, there would be a brand new factory O2 in every car.

You are the only person I've heard of that's had such a hard time with a universal O2 sensor. Hell, most of the universals I see are the same Bosch brand you seem to like.
Bosch roxors. The one I got was not a Bosch, I forget who made it, one of my friends ripped it off from the parts place he worked at. I'll tell you why mechanics don't use the garbage O2s. Because if there is a problem they have to rip it out and replace it and eat the job. With OEM there won't be a problem. Yeah, the customer has to pay for it so it is no skin off their back, but no mechanic I know would put a junk "universal" O2 in their own car. Try it in a 5.0 and you are guaranteed problems. Hondas may be a bit more forgiving. Hell, won't they run on kerosene? LOL!

I'm done here. If you guys want to use universal O2s go right ahead. I'm just telling you what I know, which is what boards like this are all about. If you do go the universal route, at the very least get a Bosch universal like Kai mentioned. Bosch is teh shiznit.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:48 AM
mullinator

I'll be sure to search the 5.0 forums before I post here again. Sorry your first try at an O2 sensor proved so challenging. -scott