Notices

my rex died

Old 10-21-2004, 05:14 PM
90_crx_flaze
Drift King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my rex died

has anyone had a problem with there rex trying to crank and them backfiring, my rex was running perfectly fine and then cut out and died and now it tries to crank and backfires. Its pissing me off cuz my cars still at school and my buddy said it was the altinator but the car has power, it cranks but doesnt start
Old 10-21-2004, 05:25 PM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

I don't think it's the alternator...
do you mean it turns over and then just blasts a big backfire and stalls. My guess is you have fuel issues, but I'm no mechanic. Hopefully somebody will have more info.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:03 PM
Mackenzie C

from my experience it might be fuel (main relay) or the basic tune up things (spark plugs, spark plug wires, etc). other then that i dont know, just now getting into hondas.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:33 PM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

I just did a tune-up on my '89 and have found a reoccuring issue. The rotor within the distributor seams to wear itself loose. What I mean is the rotor has a metal piece within the plastic that fits over the shaft in the distributor and over time wore itself loose. This made the rotor overly loose on the inside of the distributor. I don't know if this is a common problem but I've replaced my rotor once before because of this. It's only been around 10k miles since the last replacement and they should last longer. Pull off your distributor cap and see if something funky is going on in there. Hope this helps you get closer to the answer. As for anyone else, has someone heard or had this 'rotor issue' before?
Old 10-22-2004, 05:35 AM
90_crx_flaze
Drift King

now that im thinkin about it i do think it is something to do with the dizzy, cuz i did have to swap it on the dp-mp injection swap
Old 10-22-2004, 10:39 AM
91_Hulk_Si
M0der@t0r Assassin

Default Sounds like a distrubutor problem.

Mine just rolled to a stop one day and would just crank and sputter but never resume normal idel. A screw had wiggled its self out of place over the past 214,000 miles. This caused the timing to be off and not sending a good spark to the cylinders. Pull off the distributor cap and look for loose parts or maybe even try a timing light.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:46 PM
LSVTECKING
rebuilding

I don't think something loose in the dist. is going to cause his engine to load up and backfire though. Check your compression also.