Notices

CRX for street/mostly track...what to do for 3 grand?

Old 10-18-2004, 03:15 PM
LudeRage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRX for street/mostly track...what to do for 3 grand?

Hey I have a 90 Integra as a daily driver that I run at the track sometimes. I was going to drop a couple grand into a b20 block and built LS head to run 13's all motor, but...a friend of a friend has a third CRX he's getting rid of.

Soo, basically I would pick it up to use as a car to tinker with and use as a street/track car so I could leave my Integra a reliable daily driver.

I'm looking to pick up the CRX for less than a grand, spend another 3 grand or less to run solid 13's with a possibility of tapping into 12's. I was thinking of a swap, like an SiRII because they're fairly cheap, clutch/flywheel, bolt ons, and a 75 shot.

What do you all recommend I could do, keeping it all under 3 grand or so, to make this CRX a solid 13's track car?
Old 10-18-2004, 03:28 PM
ED9man
driver

hahahahhaha!!!
no, did you say $3000?
get it running and in good shape the way it is with the stock motor, you might be able to do that for 3 grand and if you're really lucky get a cheap ZC in there.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:16 PM
LudeRage

Uhh if I'm getting a swap, why would I spend the money on getting the stock motor to run well? It is going to be a track car, not a daily driver because I have one of those.

I was asking for some responses on what else I would need besides the motor swap and what it comes with to get it running fast. I know to be a solid 13's track car (not including nitrous), with some reliable track power, it probably will cost a little more than 3 grand, in addition to the car of course.

I have never done a swap, so I'm just looking for what I'll need, or ideas as to what will help. Thank you...
Old 10-18-2004, 05:22 PM
ED9man
driver

You might as well get it to endure racing because that's the only thing that's going to make the car move for that much. I am swapping now, it's not quite done, a first gen B16a into my CRX and the cost is approaching $5500 with all the little shit I've had to do to the car since I got it for $500. What I mean is you can't just throw a motor in it, there is going to be all kinds of little problems with the car itself.

You want thirteens?
You better have a 5 figure budget.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:39 PM
LudeRage

I'm not sure, but do you understand what I mean when I say this will be a track car? I'm going to be taking out anything that I don't need to make the car run down the track...it won't be something to drive down the road to work in.

Would you mind listing the stuff you've had to buy in addition to the motor? I'm not trying to be an ass or anything; I just don't quite understand what the extra few thousand is going into. And don't include labor, because I will be doing everything myself or with the help of friends. Thanks.

Edit: And your comment about spending atleast 10 grand to get 13's is bullshit. I'm sure anyone with enough knowledge would completely agree with me.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:06 PM
ED9man
driver

it does not include labor at all, me and my friend do all our own work.
I am talking all critical things.
I'll list them tommorow.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:41 PM
LudeRage

Oops, I had originally stated going with an SiRII and just found out it was from 92-up cars, of course with obd-1 or obd-2 ecu's and hydro trannys. So looks like an SiRI is my choice, which on jaydm.com is 1265. I'm sure other prices are around that range. What else will I need?

Mounts, axles, clutch...help me out here.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:00 PM
twin3037

you wont run 13's with a sir1 motor to get a crx that weighs lets say 1600 stripped not including anything else to run 13's your going to need a b18c or b18c5 and then ahve to modify that out and those arn't cheap
Old 10-18-2004, 08:01 PM
b16hatch90

i put a b16a1 in my car and it will wiegh a little bit more then yours but it runs like a 15.1 but i only have like 3000 into it. if you want to run that fast you at least need a b18c5 but if your going to make the jump into just a track car or mainly track you should save and get the H22 cuz thats such a badass engine and you can make it faster then anything else
Old 10-18-2004, 08:10 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

It shouldn't be too difficult if it's a track only car.

Rip out everything. Seriously everything. All interior except the dash shell, wheel, cluster, and seat (I would say get an aluminum Kirkey racing seat, however NHRA rules require them to be attached to a roll cage.) A lot of the crap under the hood goes bye-bye too, if you want it fast for cheap, it won't be street legal.

Throw in a B16A or B18A and a low shot of giggle gas. Add some form of air/fuel controller, and have the injectors cleaned and balanced. Save money for the dyno.

By now, you'll probably be out of money or overbudget and it's still not that fast. Enjoy.
Originally Posted by b16hatch90
you should save and get the H22 cuz thats such a badass engine and you can make it faster then anything else
Ha... good luck trying to stuff that into an EF.