Notices

1984 CRX 1.5 cooling fan relay?

Old 10-13-2004, 06:53 AM
Bogatyr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 CRX 1.5 cooling fan relay?

I have a 1984 CRX 1.5 that has a problem with the cooling fan...or some similar component. I wonder if anyone else has run into this and found a solution.

The vehicle is currently off the road, but when I run her in the driveway she'll come up to temp fine. After about 20 minutes, the cooling fan will come on, but after about 10 seconds or so, it'll shut off. Eventually, it'll come on again, but only for the same duration...during this time she'll start running warm at which point I'll shut her down. At no point does the cooling fan run when the ignition is off.

I belive the fault to be in the electrical system as I have replaced the thermostat, radiator and water pump.

From the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual I see three components which might be the culprits, however I haven't had the time to test them yet...

So, has anyone swapped out either the Air Temp switch, Cooling fan relay or the fan timer under the dash? Did this cure a short running fan problem?

Thanks,
Bogatyr
Old 10-13-2004, 08:22 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

The cooling fan switch is your most likely culprit. I had a similar problem that went away with a new cooling fan switch, but this a couple years ago.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:34 AM
Bogatyr

1stGenCRXer,
Ah, good to hear from you, I haven't been on this board in a while.

Hmm, by the fan switch you mean the thermoswitch that screws into the bottom of the radiator? Strange, I believe I swapped that out when I put the new radiator in there...guess I'll have to test that thing as well...

Thanks,

Bogatyr
Old 10-13-2004, 11:26 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Originally Posted by Bogatyr
Hmm, by the fan switch you mean the thermoswitch that screws into the bottom of the radiator?
That's the one. Jumper across the connector on the harness side and see if you still have the same problem.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:19 AM
Bogatyr

1stGenCrxEr,
Yep, when I jumper that, with the ignition on, the fan comes on. However, I'd think that I should be able to do this with the ignition off, correct? That leads me to think the problem is elsewhere...especially since my fan will come on when the car gets warm, it'll just shut off very quickly...
Thanks,
Bogatyr
Old 10-14-2004, 07:45 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

IIRC, there is a fan timer that allows the fan to run a limited amount of time with the ignition off, so if the fan will run, just not with the key off, that would be the next thing to check. How you do that is beyond my experience though.