Notices

help...

Old 10-11-2004, 05:57 AM
Lm546

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help...

ok my car bearly has enough power to move itself. To start off with like 2 weeks ago my car started to hesitate while under accel. but only for like a sec. so friday i went and bought plugs and wires for it i tryed to buy cap and rotor but they had wrong cap and rotor and i couldnt find the right 1 so i had to order them online, should be here sometime this week, Well thew plugs and wires worked so that was cool i decided to put some 91 and some injector cleaner in it to clean it out. thats where the problem starts after i put the gas in after i put the injector cleaner in it my car starting running like crap. I drove it for a little while b/c it wasnt bad, so i went to the gas station and put more gas b/c just for shits and giggles i thought the ratio of injector cleaner was to high and that all it was burning so i filled up the half tank i just drove off so it was full again. I was told by a friend that it did the same thing to him 1 time and he had to just get through that tank and then it was fine again. So i let it sit out front and run yesturday,it seemed to be getting worse. This morning i tryed to leave for work and my car didnt have enough power to make it up the drive way, So i had to get a running start to get it moving well i started on my way to worrk and in 4th gear i couldnt get over 35 so i was like screw it im going back home well then it decided to throw out a little backfire and blow a hole in my muffler and now it sounds like a major rice b/c the rpms are high and its loud as shit but it really isnt going anywhere. Ichanged fuel filter yesturday, and change plugs and wires, will do cap and rotor when i get it. I am going to check injectors today and make sure im getting good fuel from the pump, maybe its the cat clogged up? if the fuel system is fine im gonna gut my cat and see if that works b/c i have to go get a new exhaust now anyway. if anybody knows anything else i can check that would be great. sorry for the novel but i wanted to let you have all the details. my car is a 88 si. thanks in advace for any help
Old 10-11-2004, 11:15 AM
ZiviCase10287
RacinMasonC

what kind of fuel injector cleaner was it? i've had 2 different buddies use the STP kind and it totally screwed the engines over...
Old 10-11-2004, 11:16 AM
Lm546

it was gumout highmileage
Old 10-11-2004, 11:23 AM
Lm546

well i checked my fuel system, i cant check the fuel pressure b/c i dont have any of my stuff here. if it helps i took out the screw on top of the engine side line and turned they hey and it shot up about 12" ummm i checked the resistance on eache injector they all had 2.3-2.4, i removed the injectors and attached them to the rail and cranked it, they all seem to spray fine. I checked all the plugs and wire to make sure they all had spark. THen i removed to cat to see if it was melted, but to my suprise it is in perfect condition. So at this point in time Im stuck and dont know where to go from here. any help would be helpful, oh and I thought about draining the tank and putting new gas in it, any input?
thanks
Old 10-11-2004, 06:54 PM
ZiviCase10287
RacinMasonC

might of hurt a sensor... check all sensors that are related to throttle and fuel and stuff like that...
Old 10-11-2004, 07:18 PM
Lm546

i dont think it hurt any sensors... it isnt throwing any codes or it would make it to easy to find the problem, well i broke the coil then in the dist. so i had to go find a place with a new cap. i replaced that cap and rotor for shits and giggles and still nothing, so im gonna gonna wait tel tomorrow when i can see and drain the gas and put some fresh gas in it. and im gonna buy some new spark plugs just in case. so... at this point im taking shots in the dark. wish me luck
Old 10-12-2004, 09:51 AM
augy

You aren't blowing any white smoke out your tailpipe? A blown headgasket would contribute to a significant loss of power, but if you aren't seeing any smoke then it's not a HG (unless you're totally out of coolant--happened to me ).
Old 10-12-2004, 09:53 AM
augy

Originally Posted by Lm546
i dont think it hurt any sensors... it isnt throwing any codes or it would make it to easy to find the problem
This isn't necessarily true--the ecu doesn't necessarily throw codes if there's a disconnected sensor. My temp sensor isn't connected at the moment and the ECU isn't throwing any codes.